A Wonderful Beast is the fourth solo album by guitarist, vocalist, songwriter, music producer, and disc jockey Calvin Johnson, better known by fronting the legendary band Beat Happening and his other more re-mixing project, the always amusing Selector Dub Narcotic. A Wonderful Beast, his first solo under his name in more that a decade, is an appealing exercise in 21st century pop music mixing sounds and the rhythmic energy of his last album as Dub Narcotic - 2016’s This Party Is Getting Started - with the melodic feeling of the Beat Happening classics. Produced by Patrick Carney from The Black Keys.
RIYL: Beat Happening, The Halo Benders, Modest Mouse, The Pastels & Selector Dub Narcotic.
1. (3:21) ***Kiss Me Sweetly – Medium-up tempo. The first single of this record. Catchy.
2. (3:10) *A Wonderful Beast – Slow tempo. Jolly times a la Beat Happening.
3. (3:07) *Like You Do – Medium tempo. Somebody is in love. Enjoyable.
4. (3:49) Wherefore Art Thou – Medium tempo. Timeless story. Nice synths.
5. (2:50) ***Are We Ready – Medium-up tempo. My favorite song on the album. Dancy and silly.
6. (3:52) Bubbles, Clouds And Rainbows – Medium tempo. Positive vibes? Political track? Happy wishes?
7. (3:01) *Blues Come Runnin' – Medium tempo. Bluesy pop a la Calvin Johnson.
8. (2:53) Why You Crying – Medium tempo. Valid question. Cool guitars.
9. (3:38) Another Teardrop Falls – Slow tempo. Ballad a la Beat Happening. Millennial.
10. (3:56) *When The Weekend Comes Around – Medium-up tempo. TGIF! Dance time.
11. (4:14) **(I've Still Got) Sand In My Shoes – Medium tempo. Great closer. I dig the synths and the chorus.