|Eyelids / Maybe More|
|Label:||Jealous Butcher Records|
|Add Date:||2018-11-16||Pull Date:||2019-01-18|
|Week Ending:||13 Jan||6 Jan||30 Dec||23 Dec||16 Dec||9 Dec||2 Dec||25 Nov|
|1.||May 10, 2019:||KZSU Time Traveler |
Cannon And Dee
|4.||Jan 12, 2019:||Music Casserole |
Slow It Goes [Live]
|2.||May 03, 2019:||KZSU Time Traveler |
Masterpiece (Wanna Die)
|5.||Jan 11, 2019:||Old Fart At Play |
Falling Eyes [Live]
|3.||Apr 26, 2019:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|6.||Jan 11, 2019:||KZSU Time Traveler (Top 38 of 2018) |
“Maybe More” Eyelids|
Portland alt-rock band Eyelids is something of an indie super group — bringing together current and former members of the Decemberists, Guided By Voices, Malkmus/Jinks, and more. Throw in Peter Buck of R.E.M. as producer, and it’s hard to believe that they’ve been able to fly under the radar for so long. This latest release is half studio, half live. The first five tracks are new (including a cover of The Gun Club’s “Sex Beat”), while the last six songs are from a Nov. 2017 live performance at WFMU, a New Jersey-based freeform radio station.
Recommended: 1, 2, 3, 11, 9. FCC on Track 5.
1. (3:00) Maybe More — Melodic rock with strummy guitars and rich harmonies over a steady beat. Like the Byrds or Badfinger. Catchy! ****
2. (2:18) Cannon and Dee — Simple and lilting baroque pop-rock. Very medieval feeling. Woodwinds and nice orchestration. ****
3. (3:06) Masterpiece (Wanna Die) — Big jangly rock sound. Very R.E.M. or Byrds-like. Strong lead vocals. Segues into track #4. ***
4. (2:22) Scarcity For The Fox — Somewhat experimental. Repetitive clang-y notes over a synth tone that rises and falls. Halting, haunting melody overlaid, with fragile vocals and a simply played guitar. Segues into track #5.
5. (2:58) Sex Beat — Warning: FCC f-ck. Punky. Roaring guitars and a driving beat. Cover of The Gun Club’s tune.
6. (4:58) 23 (Years) [Live] — Edgy guitar. Crashing drums. Muffled vocals. Some psychedelic trappings.
7. (2:54) Seagulls Into Submission [Live] — Jangly and raw, with searing lead guitar in places. Strained, sometimes falsetto, vocals.
8. (4:19) Camelot [Live] — Up-tempo rock. Tasty guitar licks. Lots of energy.
9. (3:14) Falling Eyes [Live] — Uplifting rock. Distorted guitar under with jangly lead guitar running up and down the scales. Harmonized lead vocals. ***
10. (2:37) Psych #1 [Live] — Anthemic. Layered psyche-rock. Big beat.
11. (4:46) Slow It Goes [Live] — Lead track from “Or.” Driving beat and bass line. Big rock sound with falsetto lead vocals. Phasing tunnel-like effect in chorus. Wild guitar solo at end. ***
|1.||Maybe More||6.||23 (Years) [Live]|
|2.||Cannon And Dee||7.||Seagulls Into Submission [Live]|
|3.||Masterpiece (Wanna Die)||8.||Camelot [Live]|
|4.||Scarcity For The Fox||9.||Falling Eyes [Live]|
|5.||Sex Beat||10.||Psych #1 [Live]|
|11.||Slow It Goes [Live]|