|Fatima / And Yet It's All Love|
|Album:||And Yet It's All Love||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2018-12-23||Pull Date:||2019-02-24|
|Week Ending:||Feb 10||Jan 13||Jan 6||Dec 30|
|1.||Feb 07, 2019:||Color Theory |
Attention Span Of A Cookie
|4.||Dec 31, 2018:||New Years 10-11pm! Yew! |
|2.||Jan 08, 2019:||Nowhere Local |
Caught In A Lie
|5.||Dec 25, 2018:||Nowhere Local |
|3.||Jan 01, 2019:||All About Us (Studio B Demo) |
And Yet It's All Love
Fatima - “And Yet It’s All Love”|
Reviewed by Chano
Really catchy album about relationships - formation, breakups, getting back together, etc. Fatima’s vocals are super dynamic throughout and the funkiness and musicianship is both catchy and dynamic. This would fit well with a number of genres.
(From Eglo Records): It's been four years since Eglo Records' Fatima released 2014's Blue Note-approved, critically acclaimed debut Yellow Memories. This September, the London- via -Stockholm, Sweden songstress, returns with her second album, And Yet It's All Love — an emotional, yet entertaining trip through the full cycle of a romantic relationship, told in Fatima's now-familiar soulful style. Once again, she calls on a talented array of producers and instrumentalists to paint that picture; from Stones Throw's MNDSGN, J.D Reid (Mabel, D Double E), Purist (Daupe), Taz Arnold (Kendrick Lamar), Swarvy and regular collaborator, Natureboy Flako.
Favorites: 1, 2, 7, 10, 12
1. “Dang” - 4:35 - Really nice slower groove and vocals start the track off. Warm keys and sparkly/atmospheric samples give really nice texture to the track. Thick and lush. Fatima’s lyrics are about a relationship, things that need to be understood between multiple people, and “things you do for love when lightning strikes.” Drums switch up in the last minute and the groove takes a more marching type turn;
2. “Westside” - 4:23 - This one starts off with a more intense vibe; the bassline is central, the high hats are driving things forward, while creating space for Fatima’s voice to take center stage with nice over dubs making for a full sound. Cool guitar sounds sprinkled in throughout. Lyrics are about “getting it cracking” and it feels like the part of the evening where the party starts to take on a energy of its own. Fun track.
3. “Attention Span of a Cookie” - 3:32 - Super synthed out funky bassline and lyrics about a conflict in a relationship;
4. “I See Faces in Everything” - 4:38 - bass flexing opens up the track; uptempo drums come in and dramatic vocals about denim jeans, walking down the street, and living as the flavor of the month. Weird and cool. Great synth stabs and leads. “Don’t wanna be the flavor of the month.”
5. “Take It All” (feat. Roc Marciano) - 2:57 - FCCs! Dramatic strings and bass open it up and frame Fatima’s vocals. FCCs from Roc Marciano unfortunately because the rapping sounds dope next to the strings and following Fatima’s singing. Play during safe harbor!
6. “Somebody Else” - 3:40 - Glitched out drums and sample open it up; cool departure from the first five tracks vibe; still fits in but with a difference. Keys come in and sort of balance out the vibe. Fatima sings about heartbreak and “I could be somebody else.”
7. “Caught in a Lie” - 3:32 - Guitars build tension in the beginning; lyrics about whether a break up should happen or not. Beat comes in about 40seconds in - midtempo drums underneath the guitar and bass. The synth lead has sort of a cool g-funk type sound.
8. “Waltz” - 2:53 - nice 3/4 waltz beat; more lyrics about heartbreak with cool vocalizing overdubs; this seems like the “let’s get back together” part of the album.
9. “So Rite” - 3:27 - midtempo funkiness; bass, guitar, drums. Very nice full sound. Fatima singing about accepting self and feeling empowered.
10. “Movie” - 5:15 - dramatic pianos and lyrics about regret; No drums on this one, but it’s still interesting and dynamic with the harmonies, piano, and lyrics. The last minute finds the track expanding with bass and synth chords which open it up and give it even more dynamism.
11. “Note to Self” - 1:01 - lots of cool cavernous reverb on the vocals and synth tones that sound like they’re underwater. Cool little interludey track.
12. “And yet It’s All Love” - 3:41 - cool kind of glitchy beat; not super glitchy, but the way it’s chopped/sequenced feels off in a really nice way; Fatima’s vocals come in very smooth and pretty sounding; strings add more pretty smoothness to the otherwise chopped up beat. Awesome dynamic.
|1.||Dang||7.||Caught In A Lie|
|3.||Attention Span Of A Cookie||9.||So Rite|
|4.||I See Faces In Everything||10.||Movie|
|5.||Take It All (Feat. Roc Marciano)||11.||Note To Self|
|6.||Somebody Else||12.||And Yet It's All Love|