|Young, Neil & Promise Of The Real / Paradox|
|Album:||Paradox||Collection:||Out for Review|
|Artist:||Young, Neil & Promise Of The Real||Added:||01/2019|
|Add Date:||2019-06-18||Pull Date:||2019-08-20|
|Week Ending:||18 Aug||4 Aug||28 Jul||14 Jul||30 Jun|
|1.||Fri, 16 Aug 19:||Old Fart|
Old Fart at play
|4.||Sat, 27 Jul 19:||Ben Cauldoff|
Emergency Crew sub for Mr. Bones and Hervey
|2.||Tue, 13 Aug 19:||Sarah Bellum|
That's Not Bluegrass
|5.||Fri, 26 Jul 19:||Old Fart|
old fart at play06/21/19
|3.||Fri, 02 Aug 19:||Be Sharp|
|6.||Fri, 12 Jul 19:||DJ SOL•MAX•ION|
Clean Copper Radio for Time Traveler
From The Guardian, I think this is the best way to describe this soundtrack album: "Drifting between spooky guitar solos, sweet strums, and half-remembered choruses, this soundtrack occasionally stops for a full-fledged song, but these complete moments feel accidental, as if the fog lifts just long enough to reveal a full landscape." Not one of my favorite Neil Young albums. For some background, Daryl Hannah teams up with her husband, Neil Young, to helm a fantasy western soundtrack album. It's an experiment with film-making and a behind-the-scenes look at Young rehearsing with his band Promise of the Real. This rambling album starts out with a native American theme but meanders to random, experimental recordings. The highlight is probably the jam on Cowgirl in the Sand, an old Neil Young/CSNY stalwart performed pretty much as the original (except no vocals). Mostly instrumental songs.
RIYL: Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, Daryl Hannah
1) Paradox Passage 4 (:13)
2) Show Me (1:46))
3) Paradox Passage 1 (2:13). Instrumental. Screaming guitar with echo, country twang. Almost sounds like a siren. Experimental.
4) Hey (3:18) Instrumental. Native American drumbeat, feedback effect. Experimental sound effects.
5) Paradox Passage 2 (1:23) Instrumental. Native American drumbeat, slow, methodical, fuzzy guitar
6) *Diggin' in the Dirt (Chorus) (1:11) Starts with Ukulele. Country beat, upbeat, foot tapping, bongos, brief lyrics, Dylan-ish
7) Paradox Passage 3 (2:52) Slow, mellow guitar picking, fuzzy resonating guitar at the end.
8) *Peace Trail (5:06) Strumming guitar, mouth organ, around the campfire backing vocals; teepee style
9) Pocahontas (3:14) Slow start, organ, live track, builds with vocals, Native American themed lyrics
10) **Cowgirl in the Sand Jam (10:36) Instrumental. Best track on the album although it's really long. Great electric lead guitar, full band, live track. Very similar to the original version.
11) Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground (4:41) This is a cover of a Willie Nelson song performed by band member Lukas Nelson (his son). Slow romantic ballad with a mandolin.
12) Paradox Passage 4 (:14)
13) Diggin in the Dirt Chorus (1:11) Country jam feel. Dylan-ish vocals
14) Paradox Passage 5 (0:24)
15) Running to the Silver Eagle (2:54) Upbeat, rocking guitar and harmonica, heavy drums, jam.
16) *Baby What You Want Me to Do? (1:23) Bluesy, soft vocals, slow take on an old standard.
17) Paradox Passage 6 (:18) Country Twang
18) Offerings (:51) Harmonica melody
19) How long? (2:26) Foot tapping guitar, blues, Dylan-ish, fizzles at the end.
20) Happy Together (0:46) Informal band rehearsal-style with whistling.
21) Tumbleweed (4:01) Ukulele intro, dreamy clarinet, sweet melody, slow