|Craig, Ian William / Thresholder|
|Artist:||Craig, Ian William||Added:||01/2019|
|Add Date:||2019-03-01||Pull Date:||2019-05-03|
|Week Ending:||17 Mar||10 Mar|
|1.||Mar 12, 2019:||Attitude Adjustment |
And Therefore The Moonlight
|2.||Mar 06, 2019:||Brownian Motion |
Some Absolute Means
Vancouver visual artist and classically trained tenor who crushes his voice into blinding-bright shards by running it through half-broken tape machines. Eerie, wintry, and magisterial, like spirituals associated with no religion. This is more restrained in intensity and breadth than some of his previous releases; look in the KZSU library for his soul-exploding A Turn of Breath and his ambitious Centres. RIYL old churches, Joan La Barbara, Julianna Barwick, Tim Hecker, Benoît Pioulard, Sarah Davachi. Favorites: 2, 6, 7, 8. No FCCs detected.|
1. (4:20)—The tape starts. Windy and dissonant. Minimal.
2. *(5:06)—Tape malfunctions. Slow, grand build. Lots of vocal layering. Loud, glitchy organ reminds me of Fennesz.
3. (2:46)—Scratchy vocal lines cut in and out. Caretaker fans will like this.
4. (4:00)—Noisy, smeary. Vocal loops cut into unrecognizability, like buzzing pulses.
5. (2:00)—Long, unbroken vocal tones in a very big room.
6. *(3:50)–Soft, wobbly synth organ. Mild noise at the edges. Stays calm. Very quiet, lovely ending.
7. *(3:02)—Chilly, warped, sweeping high tones. Very deep vocal base. Haunting.
8. *(3:52)—Faded loop soup, near-silence. Ominous vocal curlicues. Powerfully minimal.
9. (1:12)—Slow, chilly, high-voiced breeze.
10. (4:54)—A little chaotic and random-seeming to start. Crushed drone noise.
11. (2:08)—Soft bleeps, the sound a record makes when the side is over. Deep, misty drone.
|1.||Elided||6.||And Therefore The Moonlight|
|2.||Some Absolute Means||7.||The Last Westbrook Lament|
|3.||Tc-377 Poem||8.||Discovered In Flat|
|5.||Idea For Contradiction 1||10.||Idea For Contradiction 2|
|11.||More Words For Mistake|