|Weeknight / Dead Beat Creep|
|Album:||Dead Beat Creep||Collection:||Out for Review|
|Add Date:||2019-04-19||Pull Date:||2019-06-21|
|Week Ending:||23 Jun||9 Jun||26 May||19 May||12 May||5 May||28 Apr|
|1.||Tue, 18 Jun 19:||Telepathic Juan|
|4.||Tue, 21 May 19:||Waterboy|
|2.||Sun, 02 Jun 19:||Mr. Bones|
Hanging in the bone yard
|5.||Tue, 14 May 19:||Telepathic Juan|
|3.||Fri, 24 May 19:||Francis D|
KZSU Time Traveler
|6.||Fri, 10 May 19:||Francis D|
KZSU Time Traveler
“Weeknight” is a Brooklyn-based duo composed of Andy Simmons and Holly MacGibbon. This is their first album since their debut in 2014. Sultry, raspy sounding voices, male voice dominates the songs, and if you listen carefully you can hear the female voice. Actually, the male voice reminds me of laid-back Depeche Mode vocals without the sing-songy stuff. Solid driving bass/drum line. The lyrics kind of sound dark, but the instrumentals introduce a sense of hope, of aspiration. Definitely darkpop/synth. Songs mostly have a similar sound. It’s not life-changing, but it is a good listen. Suggested: 4,6, 9. FCC Clean|
1. For some reason, gives me a “Breakfast Club” vibe. Reverb guitar.
2. Organ-sounding intro. Reverb guitar, heartbeat kind of driving drums, an interesting contrast with the synth. Ends with reverb guitar as a strong solo.
3. Slowly-building intro, with some claps to contribute to the drum line. Reverb guitar (again). Similar synth sounds to Modern English’s bop “Melt with You”. Constant guitar presence. Simple synth solo welcome contrast to the rest of the track.
4. *****Guitar intro. Moderate 4-beat tempo. Synth/guitar duo in between lyrics is a definite surprise in this track.
5. Hypnotic-type intro. Kind of futuristic synth build-up. Interesting retro-drums.
6. ***Definitely recommend**** DEFINITE Minor key/tone. Voice reverb intro with mumbled lyrics. Lyrics build up to guitar solo well.
7. Interesting interrogative-type build in the intro. Sweet, kinda whiny guitar solo.
8. Minor bass tones give this song a solid driving entrance, then the guitar kicks in for a whole ‘nother world of semi-bright tones.
9. *****Sample of an indecipherable speech opens this track. Vocals stand alone for a few beats, providing a great contrast from the rest of the track. At times adopts a major key in instruments, then goes back to the minor key. Great synth solo!
10. Sounds kind of introspective. Intro guitar lick is sick, backs off significantly when the vocals kick in. Bass significant when the vocals are not present. The synth solo is kind of off-beat, giving an alien vibe.
11. Strong bass and drum intro, followed by reverb guitar. Slightly brighter tone than the rest of the album.
|1.||Settle Down||6.||Golden Young|
|2.||Outside The Pale||7.||Long Been Dead|
|3.||Holes In My Head||8.||Falling In Line|
|4.||A Little Noise||9.||Can't Control|
|5.||Done With Me||10.||Imaginary Light|