|Artist:||Phony Ppl||Added:||Feb 2019|
|Add Date:||2019-02-22||Pull Date:||2019-04-26||Charts:||Hip-Hop|
|Week Ending:||Apr 28||Apr 21||Mar 17||Mar 10|
|1.||May 05, 2019:||w/e
Before You Get A Boyfriend.
|4.||Apr 25, 2019:||Hysteresis History
Once You Say Hello.
|2.||May 02, 2019:||Hysteresis History
|5.||Apr 18, 2019:||Hysteresis History
Before You Get A Boyfriend., The Colours.
|3.||Apr 28, 2019:||Grace and Jam
Once You Say Hello.
|6.||Mar 15, 2019:||Hysteresis History
Something About Your Love., Once You Say Hello., Way Too Far.
Reviewer: DJ Farad. Label: 300 Entertainment
Born & based in Brooklyn and now residents at the Blue Note Jazz Club, Phony Ppl live it up for their sixth album. Rich, delightful soundscapes and eloquent lyrics from an array of talented musicians: Elbee Thrie (vocals), Elijah Rawk (guitar), Matt "Maffyuu" Byas (drums), Aja Grant (keyboard), Bari Bass (bass guitar) - and lots of other well-crafted sounds! From NPR: "Glimmers of jazz, funk, bossa nova and even a little kompa matched with loose, playful songwriting are what make this recording shine." RIYL: KAYTRANADA, NxWorries, GoldLink, Anderson .Paak.
Play everything, esp: 2, 9, 6, 5(fcc), 10(fcc)
!!FCCs!! 3, 5, 8, 10, 11 !!FCCs!!
1. [3:47 ** Way Too Far.]: Dreamy under the sea vibes. "I think I went way too far tryna please you."
2. [4:35 **** Once You Say Hello.]: Suuuper groovy saxophone-accented track. Gnarly 20s riff towards the end. "Should you strap in for the ride of your life?"
3. [4:01 * somethinG about your love.]: FCC(ass). Title says it all. Some nice breakdown sections; arguably less interesting than other tracks.
4. [4:45 * Cookie Crumble.]: Slower, sadder, but there's light at the end of the tunnel. "I focused on the parts that died / but not the parts of me that survived."
5. [5:34 *** The Colours.]: FCC(shit,n-). Picturesque introspection on listening to intuition, featuring all the best color names amidst a minor-keyed space-like sonic backdrop. (abrupt down-up fadeouts throughout final minute; you may wanna cut immediately after "the silver and the gold" @ 4:39)
6. [2:37 *** One Man Band.]: Mellow yet very sweet serenade; staccato guitar, orchestral backing. "Do you wanna join my one man band?"
7. [2:35 * Think You're Mine.]: Pitched-up vocals over acoustic guitar. "I just don't think you're mine." (last 15s quiet lead-in to next track)
8. [3:58 ** Move Her Mind. ]: FCC(ass). "She can move her ass but can she move her mind? I will take the risk and we'll find out in time."
9. [4:13 **** Before You Get a Boyfriend.]: Upbeat as all hell jammin. Rich sounds on a real nice beat. Instant grabber for me!
10. [3:56 *** Either Way.]: FCC(sex). Another solid, groovy sonic adventure. "Do you really like me or is it just the sex? Either way, I'll be back."
11. [3:21 ** on everythinG iii love.]: FCC(n-). Dark ballad on racism and police brutality; softer, slower. "Spilled my cold blood on the pavement / Just because I'm black"
|1.||Way Too Far.||6.||One Man Band.|
|2.||Once You Say Hello.||7.||Think You're Mine.|
|3.||Something About Your Love.||8.||Move Her Mind.|
|4.||Cookie Crumble.||9.||Before You Get A Boyfriend.|
|5.||The Colours.||10.||Either Way.|
|11.||On Everything Iii Love.|