|Lemonheads, The / Varshons 2|
|Add Date:||2019-03-01||Pull Date:||2019-05-03|
|Week Ending:||5 May||28 Apr||21 Apr||14 Apr||7 Apr||31 Mar||24 Mar||10 Mar|
|1.||Fri, 03 May 19:||Francis D|
KZSU Time Traveler
|4.||Fri, 26 Apr 19:||Francis D|
KZSU Time Traveler
|2.||Sat, 27 Apr 19:||Mr. Bones|
Hanging in the bone yard
|5.||Thu, 25 Apr 19:||Trish McBee|
|3.||Sat, 27 Apr 19:||Eme O|
|6.||Sun, 21 Apr 19:||DJ Genesis|
“Varshons 2” The Lemonheads|
Lead singer-songwriter, Evan Dando, is back with an intriguing, quirky, eclectic collection of indie rock covers that range from guitar-driven alt rock to folk rock and even alt country. Formed in 1986, the Lemonheads were huge in the 1990s. The band’s last album of original music was recorded in 2006. Their initial album of covers, “Varshons,” was released in 2009.
Recommended: 1, 3, 4, 6, 8, and 11.
1. (2:13) Can’t Forget – Gently swaying and shimmering ballad; cover of Yo La Tengo. Crooning vocals, with sweet, soft harmonies. ****
2. (2:53) Settled Down Like Rain – Simple ditty with a solid backbeat. Harmonized lead vocals. Fuzzy guitar in lead break.
3. (3:36) Old Man Blank – Throwback sound reminiscent of R.E.M. Chugging guitar sound under. Big guitar solos in the lead breaks. ***
4. (2:46) Things – Medium-tempo with a road-song feeling. Wistful vocals. ***
5. (2:46) Speed Of The Sound Of Loneliness – Americana cover of John Prine. Strummed acoustic guitar. Soft, mellow vocals.
6. (3:40) Abandoned – Lucinda Williams cover. Slow and stately, with distorted guitar and feedback in contrast to the spare, drawled vocals. ***
7. (2:37) Now And Then – 1960s honky tonk-flavor, without the piano. Some great guitar riffs.
8. (3:24) Magnet – Up-tempo and bouncy, with a busy bass line, minimal jangly guitar and Americana-flavored vocals. ***
9. (2:18) Round Here – Strumming alt-country cover of the Florida Georgia Line tune.
10. (2:04) TAQN – Punky alt. rock with roaring, wall-of-sound guitars and short wild
11. (3:32) Unfamiliar – Laid-back, leisurely reggae rock. **
12. (4:27) Straight To You – Slow-tempo, guitar-rock anthem.
13. (3:17) Take It Easy – Breezy cover of the Eagles tune. Nuff said.
|1.||Can't Forget||7.||Now And Then|
|2.||Settled Down Like Rain||8.||Magnet|
|3.||Old Man Blank||9.||Round Here|
|5.||Speed Of The Sound Of Loneliness||11.||Unfamiliar|
|6.||Abandoned||12.||Straight To You|
|13.||Take It Easy|