Spelling - Mazy Fly
Reviewed by Chano
Great second album from Sacramento’s SPELLLING on Sacred Bones records. Reverbed out vocals with cool ethereal spaciness mixed in with poppy synth driven jams. Very cool tracks that will fit in with many of your genres. Play this!
Favorites: 6, 10, 11,
FCCs: None! Play them all
RIYL: Bjork, Broadcast, Vangelis, Dream Theater
1. Red - 2:13 - cool slow bass groove and glitchiness along with trippy vocals.
2. Haunted Water - 4:50 - 80s sounding synth grooves; dramatic energy like something intense is immanent. Kick drums come in sorta slow and then speed up. Haunting!
3. Hard to Please - 2:08 - Poppy synth action and catchy vocals with lots of cool layers and reverbs. Ethereal vibe without drums and then a big kick drum and some claps come in.
4. Golden Numbers - 2:44 - intense vocalizing and synth/guitar sounds along with bleeps/bloops as percussion. Halfway through the tempo picks up and gets sort of upbeat for a moment and then slows down again.
5. Melted Wings - 1:52 - dope violin and strings! cool synth stuff comes in spread throughout. Very dramatic and cool. Wish it was longer.
6. Under the Sun - 5:55 - Nice upbeat pop jam! Very cool 80s vibes. Kind of like the Scarface soundtrack mixed with a video game soundtrack. Cool breakdown/bridge section halfway through with psychedelicy vibes.
7. Real Fun - 3:32 - cool wah’d out guitar and more cool breathy vocals about aliens. Dope saxophone. Gets real Dream Theater vibes in the last minute, wow! Love the drama.
8. Hard to Please (Reprise) - 3:34 - very poppy jam. Cool mid tempo vibe. Big bright synth leads and what sound like live drums. Romantic jam. Uplifting ending.
9. Afterlife - 5:24 - ethereal spaciness and then big live drums centered in the mix along with synth and sax jam. Cool breakdown with drums and synth. Cool surreal vocalizing and lyrics.
10. Dirty Desert Dreams - 2:32 - more kind of dream theater/Vangelis vibes. Poppy verse with nice keys and bass syncopating before breaking down into more spaciness.
11. Secret Thread - 5:06 - this one directly referents Mazy Fly, so sort of a title track? Cool lullaby vibes. Very nice watery synth sounds and violin and live drums. Dope guitars in the beginning. Spooky vocals about secret threads and death!
12. Falling Asleep - 2:45 - spacey jam. Ethereal and swirly synths. Cool outdo jam.