Lux Prima is the name of the album by the fabulous frontwoman Karen O and celebrated musician/producer Danger Mouse. The closest musical reference to understanding Lux Prima is Air’s Moon Safari, reflecting a fascination with 1960s French pop and late 20th century space age and R&B pop, although less dependent on electronic sounds and synthesizers. Overall, Lux Prima is a chill, almost atmospheric experiment with some sophisticated upbeat interventions just to break calmness. I don’t think this will be the only time Karen O and Danger Mouse will work together.
Something else from the press release:
Karen O And Danger Mouse are excited to share their new collaborative album Lux Prima, which will be the first partnership from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs’ singer and the acclaimed musician-producer. The duo became friends after meeting in 2007, and decided to enter the studio after the birth of O's first son in 2015. While containing elements that could be found on other straight-ahead rock tracks from Danger Mouse-affiliated groups like Broken Bells or The Black Keys, Karen O’s distinct vocal style cuts through to create and exciting and entirely new merging of talents.
RIYL: Air’s Moon Safari, Massive Attack, Françoise Hardy, Nile Rodgers, Parquet Courts & Daniele Luppi’s Milano.
Recommended Tracks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7
1. (9:03) ***Lux Prima – Slow/Medium-up tempo. Tour de force track – atmospheric, dramatic and visual. A personal favorite.
2. (5:07) **Ministry – Slow tempo. Karen’s voice is arresting here. Great instrumentation.
3. (3:19) **Turn The Light – Medium-up tempo pop cut. Think of early 1980’s post-disco ballads. Sophisticated pop here.
4. (2:55) ***Woman – Medium-up tempo. Wow!! What a track. YYYs meets 1960’s R&B soul. Killer song.
5. (3:49) **Redeemer – Medium-up tempo. The rock track of the album. Love Karen’s vocals on this song.
6. (3:26) Drown – Slow tempo. Another interesting atmospheric pop recording.
7. (3:13) ***Leopard's Tongue – Medium-up tempo. Great melody and instrumentation. I like the disco vibe. This could be a single.
8. (3:44) Reveries – Slow tempo. Acoustic track. Melancholic.
9. (6:09) Nox Lumina – Slow/Medium tempo. Theatrical and moody.