|Ex Hex / It's Real|
|Add Date:||2019-04-02||Pull Date:||2019-06-04|
|Week Ending:||2 Jun||26 May||19 May||12 May||5 May||28 Apr||21 Apr||14 Apr|
|1.||Wed, 05 Jun 19:||DJ Stace|
|4.||Wed, 22 May 19:||DJ Stace|
|2.||Wed, 29 May 19:||DJ Stace|
|5.||Tue, 21 May 19:||Shay Z|
All Passion No Technique
|3.||Tue, 28 May 19:||Telepathic Juan|
|6.||Wed, 15 May 19:||Super Chuck|
The Fuzz Deli
It’s Real is the second album from Washington, DC trio Ex Hex. On It’s Real, Mary Timony’s trio continues constructing a fascinating 1970s inspired power pop sound, only this time with slicker guitar work, more arresting vocal melodies, and a cool rock n’ roll swagger punch. Play it loud!!|
Something else from the press release:
When Ex Hex exploded onto the scene with their unfettered brand of rock and riffage, the power trio for our generation had finally arrived. Made up of Mary Timony (guitar, vocals), Betsy Wright (bass, vocals), and Laura Harris (drums), the group’s 2014 debut Rips was a gleaming collection of tightly wound gems.
On It’s Real, the group’ second album, Ex Hex’s commitment to larger-than-life riffs and unforgettable hooks remains intact, but the garage-y, post-punk approach that defined Rips has grown in scale and ambition. What started as a reaction to the blown-out aesthetic of Rips would test the sonic limits of the power trio and lead the band on a quest for a more immersive and three-dimensional sound.
RIYL: Suzi Quatro, Cheap Trick, The Runaways, Buzzcocks and The Cars.
Recommended Tracks: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
1. (4:38) ***Tough Enough – Medium tempo. The late 1970s post glam sound is back with a vengeance. Killer piece.
2. (3:35) *Rainbow Shiner – Medium-up tempo. Almost heavy metal. Nice guitar riff. Sweet vocals.
3. (2:54) **Good Times – Medium-up tempo. Power pop all the way. Fine vocal melody. Let the good times roll.
4. (5:14) Want It to Be True – Medium tempo. Power pop ballad. Cheap Trick would be proud.
5. (3:42) ***Diamond Drive – Medium-up tempo. Solid guitars, catchy melody, great rock n’ roll vibe. One of my favorite tracks on the record.
6. (3:29) *No Reflection – Medium tempo. Impressive power pop ballad. The Cars would be proud.
7. (5:31) **Another Dimension – Heavy metal pop? Campy but catchy. Impressive.
8. (3:00) *Cosmic Cave – Medium-up tempo. Fast power pop a la Buzzcocks. Melodic and urgent.
9. (3:53) **Radiate – Medium-up tempo. Energetic and magnetic. Epic guitar riff. I love the vocals.
10. (3:16) Talk to Me – Slow tempo. Solid guitars and vocals. Impressive album closer.
|1.||Tough Enough||6.||No Reflection|
|2.||Rainbow Shiner||7.||Another Dimension|
|3.||Good Times||8.||Cosmic Cave|
|4.||Want It To Be True||9.||Radiate|
|5.||Diamond Drive||10.||Talk To Me|