Contract is the debut EP by New Orleans synth pop trio Berlin Taxi. Stylish experiment in early 1980s electro pop a la Ultravox or Tubeway Army sound and tints of vaporwave. Machine-made atmospheres, cool filtered vocals, catchy synthesizer riffs.
Something else from the press release:
Berlin Taxi is the latest stop for musician Michael Arruebarrena. In recent years, the New Orleans music scene has been exposed to Arruebarrena’s songwriting through excursions in garage rock, psychedelia, and new wave. Berlin Taxi is his latest effort after further musical exploration; namely travel through Europe with bandmate Morgan McManus. The two discovered the distinctive styles of Euro-based synth pop and soon afterward began work on the Contract EP. Adding another New Orleans scene mainstay, Greg Manson, to the outfit, the group presents a clear take on synth based pop music incorporating the straight forward writing styles of Arruebarrena’s past works.
RIYL: Ultravox, Choir Boy, Tubeway Army, Drab Majesty and The Human League.
Recommended Tracks: 1, 3, 4, 5
1. (3:59) ***Everybody Changes – Medium-up tempo. Great cut. Solid synths and vocals. My favorite one on the EP.
2. (3:09) Middle Man – Medium tempo. Chill and layered. Unusual melody.
3. (3:44) **Backroads – Medium tempo. Almost vaporwave. Last minute of track is alluring. Reminds me of early Air.
4. (3:33) **Last Night – Medium-up tempo. Electro pop galore. Catchy.
5. (3:18) **Level With Me – Medium-up tempo. Dark, very retro. Think Tubeway Army. Cool piece.