|Add Date:||2019-06-18||Pull Date:||2019-08-20|
|Week Ending:||Aug 18||Aug 11||Aug 4||Jul 28||Jul 21||Jul 14||Jul 7||Jun 30|
|1.||Sep 22, 2023:||KZSU Time Traveler
So Far So Fast
|4.||Jun 25, 2021:||KZSU Time Traveler
|2.||Feb 17, 2023:||KZSU Time Traveler
Not In Kansas
|5.||May 01, 2020:||KZSU Time Traveler
So Far So Fast
|3.||Aug 05, 2022:||KZSU Time Traveler
|6.||Mar 06, 2020:||KZSU Time Traveler
So Far So Fast
Eighth studio album from indie and alternative darlings, The National. Surprisingly quick turnaround, coming so soon after 2017’s “Sleep Well Beast.” While many of the songs feature Matt Berninger’s trademark, Leonard Cohen-like baritone vocals and pensive lyrics accompanied by the Dessner twins’ moody melodies, the band continues to spread its wings — in this album incorporating frequent electro elements, a host of guest vocalists, and some experimental touches such as spoken conversations, sound effects, and choral hymns from the Brooklyn Youth Chorus. The album was released with a black & white film of the same name. Strong critical reviews…an exceptional experience!
Recommended: 1, 16, 14, 10, 13, 7, 11, 2, 9.
1. (3:26) You Had Your Soul With You – Angular, rapid-fire guitar and synth, pounding drums and swelling orchestra. Matt Berninger sings lead at the start, before being joined by Gail Ann Dorsey, former bassist and back-up vocalist for David Bowie. ****
2. (4:15) Quiet Light – Mellow vocals over a skittering drum line and synth soundscape. Piano is prominent. Guitar. Strings added near the end. ***
3. (3:35) Roman Holiday – Piano ballad with intricate, syncopated beat and another duet with Dorsey.
4. (4:14) Oblivions – Mid-tempo, piano-driven pop-rock. Duet with Mina Tindle.
5. (3:59) The Pull Of You – Off-kilter drum line pulses throughout. Berninger sings and has discussions with Lisa Hannigan and Sharon Van Etten. Shows off the great writing of Berninger and his wife and co-lyricist, Carin Besser.
6. (4:14) Hey Rosey – Dorsey takes the lead on this thrumming, synth-driven pop-rock anthem. Bells and strings.
7. (4:31) I Am Easy To Find – Leisurely, meandering stroll. Piano-based duet featuring Kate Stables and Berninger. ***
8. (1:03) Her Father In The Pool – Choral instrumental featuring the Brooklyn Youth Chorus.
9. (4:42) Where Is Her Head – Driving, rhythm-led track with Eve Owen taking the lead. ***
10. (6:45) Not In Kansas – Wistful, guitar-based ballad that shows off Berninger’s baritone in its best light. Incorporates two sections featuring crystalline female harmonies from Dorsey, Hannigan and Stables. ****
11. (6:37) So Far So Fast – Electro-infused pop-rock with Hannigan on lead. Berninger eventually joins in a duet. Extended electronic trail-out, reminiscent of something from Shearwater. ***
12. (3:19) Dust Swirls In Strange Light – Chanted vocals from the Brooklyn Youth Chorus — leading into a syncopated, jazzy, dream-pop trail-out.
13. (4:28) Hairpin Turns – Contemplative lyrics woven into a slightly draggy piano melody with a stop-and-go beat. Examines relationship issues. ***
14. (3:44) Rylan – Upbeat, hooky, pulsing pop-rock with a strong backbeat. Berninger and Stables alternate on verses and harmonize in the choruses. ****
15. (1:21) Underwater – Another choral instrumental showcasing the Brooklyn Youth Chorus.
16. (3:33) Light Years – Beautiful, folky closing ballad with Berninger singing lead vocals over tinkling piano. ****
|1.||You Had Your Soul With You||9.||Where Is Her Head|
|2.||Quiet Light||10.||Not In Kansas|
|3.||Roman Holiday||11.||So Far So Fast|
|4.||Oblivions||12.||Dust Swirls In Strange Light|
|5.||The Pull Of You||13.||Hairpin Turns|
|7.||I Am Easy To Find||15.||Underwater|
|8.||Her Father In The Pool||16.||Light Years|