|Chura, Stef / Midnight|
|Add Date:||2019-07-08||Pull Date:||2019-09-09|
|Week Ending:||8 Sep||1 Sep||25 Aug||18 Aug||11 Aug||4 Aug||28 Jul||21 Jul|
|1.||Wed, 25 Sep 19:||DJ Stace|
|4.||Sat, 14 Sep 19:||Eme O|
|2.||Wed, 18 Sep 19:||DJ Stace|
|5.||Wed, 11 Sep 19:||DJ Stace|
|3.||Sun, 15 Sep 19:||Kim|
|6.||Wed, 04 Sep 19:||DJ Stace|
Album / Artist: Midnight / Stef Chura|
Label: Saddle Creek
General Comments / Release Notes
From the release notes: … recorded and produced by Will Toledo of Car Seat Headrest -and her first new collection of songs for the Saddle Creek label.
Detroit based Chura’s second album. Definitely Toledo’s production fingerprints all over this album, but the songs and vocals are bold and deliberate. Guitar greatness on this release, Chura’s warble and soaring Crazy Horse solos make this album a great listen start to finish.
RIYL: Car Seat Headrest, Illuminati Hotties, Lala Lala, Palehound
Play: 1,2,3,5,6,8,** 9 **, 10,11,12
1. **** All I Do is Lie 05:41 - Midtempo, driving, rocker, ala GBV. Great warbling vocals and rocking chorus. Play it.
2. *** Scream 02:21 - Punchy, uptempo, urgent and badass.
3. *** Degrees 05:22 - Slow to midtempo. Spare instrumentation great lyrical flow through the melody gives way to a crashing cacaphonic chorus and back. Dreamy, then, abusive. Killer Neil Youngesque soloing. Another great song.
4. Method Man 03:07 FCC Fuck - Midtempo, aggressive and sharp. Great guitars.
5. ** Trumbull 01:16 - Weird little gospel piano piece. Brief and odd, but great.
6. *** Jumpin' Jack 02:32 - Uptempo, bouncing and gleeful. Reminds a bit of a Pretenders tune.
7. Sincerely Yours 04:18 - FCC Fucked up - Slow to mid tempo, starts off strummy with Chura’s great warble weaving through the guitars, or vice versa. Soaring and rusty guitar work on this one, then kicks into full on Built to Spill territory at 2:30. Too bad about the FCC.
8. 3D Girl 03:51 - Uptempo pogo rock. Punchy and straightforward. A little bit Devo in the middle, then full on epic rockout to the end.
9. **** Sweet Sweet Midnight 05:29 - Great midtempo duet with Will Toledo of Car Seat Headrest’s guitar work and Chura’s distinctive vocals. Prmium production and songwriting. Definitely the standout track of the album. Play it.
10. *** Love Song 01:12 - Cool little midtempo lo-fi strummer, sounds alot like a really good Cat Power song. Catchy refrain. More backup from Toledo.
11. *** They’ll Never 03:38 - Midtempo straightforward countryesque rocker reminiscent of X.
12. **** Eyes Without a Face 03:52 - Killer Billy Idol cover starts quiet, breathy and weepy then becomes a plodding rocker to the end. Play it.
|1.||All I Do Is Lie||7.||Sincerely Yours|
|3.||Degrees||9.||Sweet Sweet Midnight|
|4.||Method Man||10.||Love Song|
|6.||Jumpin' Jack||12.||Eyes Without A Face|