|Edel, Mike / Thresholds|
|Add Date:||2019-08-21||Pull Date:||2019-10-23|
|Week Ending:||20 Oct||13 Oct||6 Oct||29 Sep||22 Sep||15 Sep||8 Sep||1 Sep|
|1.||Nov 20, 2020:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|4.||Dec 20, 2019:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|2.||May 01, 2020:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|5.||Nov 15, 2019:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|3.||Feb 21, 2020:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|6.||Nov 01, 2019:||KZSU Time Traveler |
“Thresholds” Mike Edel|
Canadian singer-songwriter delivers a welcoming, melodic album of indie folk-pop. Most songs layer guitar, piano and synth — often with a strong drum track. This is Edel’s third album and it was well produced by Chris Walla of Death Cab for Cutie. Some really strong hooks on the tunes in this 10-song set. RIYL: Shred Kelly, M. Ward or Dawes.
— Francis D.
Recommended: 7, 1, 5, 3, 2, 9, 6. No FCCs noted.
1. (3:57) Ocean View — Mid-tempo, melodic. Strummed guitar. Piano. Steady thumping beat. Subtle synth wind effects. About Victoria, BC. ****
2. (3:32) Go With You — Light and lilting synth-pop, with bright piano and a pulsing bass — underscored by thumping or scampering drums. ***
3. (3:23) Houdini — Guitar anthem. Crunchy and jangly guitars. Big, strong beat. ***
4. (3:33) Could We End Up Like This — Upbeat and playful with bell-like synth, picked electric guitar, drums and tambourine. Segues into next song.
5. (3:43) Challenger — Sad song about the Challenger disaster. Repeating synth chords. Strong backbeat. Expressive storytelling vocals. ***
6. (3:30) Stay On — Soulful pop-rock with big reverbed guitar. **
7. (2:52) 31 — Catchy, folky tune. Energetic drum line. Piano. Ringing guitar layered under — more prominent in the choruses. Warm vocals. ****
8. (5:07) Revenant — Beautiful, fragile piano ballad. Atmospheric synth soundscape under.
9. (3:25) Miles — Strummy folk-rock road-trip feeling, so apt song title. Chimey guitar accents. Shimmering synths. ***
10. (4:25) Slowly — Pensive synth pop-rock closer. Atmospheric sound-bed. Halting guitar melody.
|1.||Ocean View||6.||Stay On|
|2.||Go With You||7.||31|
|4.||Could We End Up Like This||9.||Miles|