Guaxe is the self-titled debut LP by Paraty, Brazil psychedelic rock duo Guaxe. Overall freak folk vibe with some brilliant upbeat psych rock/Tropicalia moments here and there. Vocals in Portuguese. Psicodelia para sempre.
Something else from the press release:
Guaxe (pr. Gwah-shee) is a musical duo that was formed spontaneously after the encounter of two Brazilian psych rockers Dino Almeida (Boogarins) and Pedro Bonifrate (Supercordas). Both members have guested on each others' recordings and had shared the stage at a few festivals together before Supercordas' dissolution in 2016. Over recent years, Dino has paid Bonifrate and his family many short visits to his home in Paraty in coastal Brazil. During these getaways, the Guaxe album was written and recorded --- with 4-track machines, computers, cranky gear, 10-string guitars, children playing, and a rainforest full of lizards all around the house.
Guaxe is named after an Atlantic forest bird who builds tent-shaped nests that hang on tall trees, and sings synthesized sounds like no other.
RIYL: Boogarins, Helado Negro, Supercordas, Lorelle Meets The Obsolete and Kikagaku Moyo.
Recommended Tracks: 1, 2, 4, 5, 6
1. (3:33) ***Desafio do Guaxe – Medium-up tempo. 2019 psychedelia. It has an early 1990s underground British rock energy. Reversed sounds, post-acid house beats, distorted vocals.
2. (3:14) ***Pupilxs – Medium-up tempo. Classic late 1960s psych rock vibe here. Cool guitar effects. Trippy ending.
3. (1:11) Rio Abaixo – Slow tempo. Psicodelia acústica y sonidos encontrados.
4. (4:34) *Nilo – Slow/medium tempo. Freak folk recording. Dramatic.
5. (4:53) ***Onda – Medium-up tempo. Solid psych rock exercise. Great melody. Last minute of track is full of controlled distortions.
6. (3:51) **Avesso – Slow tempo. Psicodelia acústica y sonidos encontrados parte II.
7. (6:14) ***Povo Marcado – Slow/medium-up tempo. Epic track. Hypnotic. My favorite recording on the album.