“Days Of The Bagnold Summer” Belle and Sebastian
Glasgow, Scotland-based indie pop-rockers, Belle and Sebastian, have created a soundtrack to a movie, “Days of the Bagnold Summer,” adapted from Joff Winterhart’s graphic novel. The music is classic Belle and Sebastian — dreamy orchestrated folk and catchy pop with a dash of rock infused into a couple of numbers. Nine songs feature vocals and four are instrumentals (one with some movie dialogue and a hint of background vocals). Another very good offering from the indie darlings.
Recommended: 11, 3, 12, 2, 9, 6, 10. FCCs on Tracks 14, 15 and 16.
1. (3:05) Sister Buddha (Intro) — Slow, strummy, crystalline instrumental. Mostly acoustic, with some chimey synths.
2. (4:24) I Know Where The Summer Goes — Wistful, swelling tune. Piano. Organ. Full instrumentation. Slightly syncopated rhythm. ***
3. (3:09) Did The Day Go Just Like You Wanted — Lightly tripping folk-pop. Fingerpicked guitar. Lovely strings. Brass in the lead break. ****
4. (3:04) Jill Pole — Stately, swaying instrumental. Shifts to strings and fiddle in the middle.
5. (2:00) I’ll Keep It Inside (Radio Edit) — Halting and precise. Flowing — with strings, synth soundscape and distant harmonies.
6. (2:58) Safety Valve — Reworking of a never-released composition that’s 25 years old. Brit-pop feeling. Strummed guitar. Prominent violin throughout. ***
7. (2:28) The Colour’s Gonna Run — Instrumental. Electric guitar with synth carrying the melody. Noise at the end.
8. (1:32) Another Day, Another Night — Very short, pleasant and breezy. Fingerpicked guitar. Sarah Martin on the lead vocals. ****
9. (3:59) Get Me Away From Here I’m Dying (Radio Edit) — Up-tempo, fun, skipping light rocker. Guitar-driven. Tambourine. A little piano in places. ***
10. (3:20) Wait And See What The Day Holds— Slow-tempo. Guitar and organ. Pulsing bass line. Saxophone in the lead breaks. **
11. (4:09) Sister Buddha — Uplifting, driving pop-rock. Soaring, ringing keys. Crunchy guitar. Thumping drums. Big anthem feeling. ****
12. (3:26) This Letter (Radio Edit) — Jazzy, with fingerpicked guitar and Stuart Murdoch’s vocals out front. Some keys added in the middle. Muted horns. ****
13. (5:24) We Were Never Glorious — Deliberately paced piano ballad closer. Angelic background vocals. Strings. Some movie dialogue included. Finishes with a trail-out of lilting piano and strings.
14. (2:00) I’ll Keep It Inside — FCC: “Pissing” Unedited version of #5.
15. (3:59) Get Me Away From Here I’m Dying — FCC: “F-cked” Unedited version of #9.
16. (3:26) This Letter — FCCs: “F-cked” (twice) Unedited version of #12.