|Tucker, Moe / I'm Sticking With You: An Introduction To Moe Tucker|
|Album:||I'm Sticking With You: An Introduction To Moe Tucker||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Tucker, Moe||Added:||Sep 2019|
|Label:||Sundazed Music / Modern Harmonic|
|Add Date:||2019-10-07||Pull Date:||2019-12-09|
|Week Ending:||Dec 15||Dec 8||Nov 3||Oct 27||Oct 13|
|1.||Oct 10, 2021:||Old fart at play (rebroadcast from Oct 10, 2019) |
I'm Sticking With You
|4.||Dec 09, 2019:||Everything |
Around And Around
|2.||Dec 14, 2019:||Buford J. Sharkley Presents: As Told to Hervey Okkles |
|5.||Dec 03, 2019:||Magnetized Toner |
I'm Waiting For The Man
|3.||Dec 14, 2019:||Music Casserole |
|6.||Oct 30, 2019:||Brownian Motion |
I'm Waiting For The Man
I'm Sticking With You: An Introduction To Moe Tucker is a compilation in a recent series of reissues examining the brief but fascinating solo career of Moe Tucker, better known as the drummer of mythical American art rock band, The Velvet Underground. This collection contains examples of her albums, singles, and some rare recordings done during her active time in the studio from early 1980s to late 1990s. Many of the songs in this collection consist of covers, mostly from The Velvet Underground and even a couple of original tracks like ‘Last Night’ that closes the collection. Outsider art attitudes, lo-fi sounds, and childlike vocals all in the name of rock n’ roll. |
Something else from the press release:
“After Hours” was Tucker’s only starring role in the Velvets’ original lifetime, but her clockwork drumming and loyalty to those ideals were constants in the noisy and emotionally direct music Tucker made in her second, improbable career as a solo artist: particularly the nine tracks that comprise this unique introduction, selected from a dozen releases across two decades.
There are 1980 home-recorded versions of Chuck Berry’s “Around and Around” and the Shirelles’ “Will You Love Me Tomorrow?” with Tucker playing all of the instruments, a charming duet with Jonathan Richman of the Modern Lovers on “I’m Sticking With You,” iconic Velvets songs with instrumental support by Reed and original bassist-viola player John Cale, and the memorial ode “Andy,” a chant-like eulogy with liquid-jangle guitar named after the pop artist who produced, managed and mentored the Velvets from 1966 to 1968. This collection ends with another memorial: “Last Night,” written by Tucker and recorded in 1998 as he farewell to Sterling Morrison who died in 1995. I’m Sticking With You: An Introduction To Moe Tucker presents this vital part of the history and legacy of The Velvet Underground and a portrait of (as Lou Reed described her) “the driving force, the hardcore heart of the Velvets’ mindset.”
RIYL: The Velvet Underground!
Recommended Tracks: All! 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
1. (5:29) ***I'm Waiting For The Man – Slow tempo. Acoustic track with whispery vocals. Great reinterpretation. Recorded in 1991.
2. (6:45) **Pale Blue Eyes – Slow tempo. Closer to the original but without the tambourine. It feels very 1990s college radio. Lou Reed would be proud. Recorded in 1989.
3. (8:45) **Heroin –Slow/medium-up tempo. The lo-fi version of the original. Passionate take. From 1982.
4. (2:59) ***I'm Sticking With You – Medium tempo. A killer take on The Velvet Underground classic. A duet with Jonathan Richman of the Modern Lovers. One of my favorite tracks in the collection. From 1980.
5. (4:28) ***Guess I'm Falling In Love – Medium-up tempo. Solid rock n’ roll track, very close to the original. Cover of The Velvet Underground. Recorded in 1986.
6. (3:45) ***Around and Around – Medium tempo. The lo-fi version of the original. Outsider rock. Chuck Berry cover. From 1982.
7. (4:21) **Will You Love Me Tomorrow? – Medium-up tempo. The lo-fi version of this timeless classic. Cover of The Shirelles. Recorded in 1981.
8. (5:09) **Andy – Medium tempo. A Moe Tucker original. Impressive lo-fi rock experiment. From 1989.
9. (2:45) ***Last Night – Slow/medium tempo. Semi-acoustic track with neat instrumentation. Originally unissued and recorded in 1998.
|1.||I'm Waiting For The Man||5.||Guess I'm Falling In Love|
|2.||Pale Blue Eyes||6.||Around And Around|
|3.||Heroin||7.||Will You Love Me Tomorrow?|
|4.||I'm Sticking With You||8.||Andy|