|Wives / So Removed|
|Add Date:||2019-10-30||Pull Date:||2020-01-01|
|Week Ending:||29 Dec||22 Dec||15 Dec||24 Nov||10 Nov||3 Nov|
|1.||Wed, 22 Jan 20:||DJ Stace|
|4.||Sat, 28 Dec 19:||Big Chief|
On The Warpath
|2.||Wed, 08 Jan 20:||DJ Stace|
|5.||Wed, 18 Dec 19:||DJ Stace|
|3.||Sat, 04 Jan 20:||Big Chief|
On The Warpath
|6.||Wed, 11 Dec 19:||Super Chuck|
The Fuzz Deli
Album / Artist: So Removed / WIVES |
Label: City Slang
General Comments / Release Notes
Fuzzy, artsy, slacker rock with moments of brilliance. If you’ve been waiting for The Pixies to put out another great album for the last 20 years, this might be the thing to slake your thirst. Without being derivative, the songs here provide that same kind of brilliant chaotic indie “wall of sound” punctuated my valleys of great lyrics.
RIYL: The Fall, Parquet Courts, Pixies
Play: All but 8. Favs marked with *
1. **** Waving Past Nirvana 03:34 - Midtempo, great lazy snarl vocals. Greatness. Great crescendos and valleys.
2. **** The 20 Teens 03:45 video - Uptempo rocker with a great dirty piano bar sound. Quavering, Irish pub choruses come to mind in the chorus and vocals
3. Servants 02:47 - Midtempo growling rocker, reminiscent of Pixies when they ruled the world.
4. Hit Me Up 03:10 - Midtempo, with fuzzed out slinky guitars and vocals. Cool backup vocals. Druggy and dripping with attitude.
5. *** Whatevr 01:58 - Fast and punk in the style of some of Velvet Underground’s more straightforward proto-punk songs.
6. *** Even The Dead 05:41 - midtempo sludgy and plodding toe tapper, reminds me of Jim Carroll. Talk singing and a great overdriven bassline walking underneath.
7. Why Is Life 02:56 - Midtempo, reminds me a bit of early Psychedelic Furs a bit at the intro. Goes a little Sonic Youth (Goo era) a minute in.
8. FCC Sold Out Seatz 03:21 FCC “FUCKING” - Fast, and punchy. Another one that reminds me a bit of the Jim Carroll Band.
9. Workin’ 05:48 - Feedback and echoing intro, feels ominous. Works it’s way into a midtempo soaring shoegazey guitar great, more upbeat than the intro feels. Reminds me of a marriage between The Fall & Swervedriver, maybe.
10. *** Hideaway 02:50 - Uptempo, shuffling and insistent. This one really sounds like they stole Black Francis' notebook circa 1990. “Don’t you sweat it girl,… doing all the cocaine in the world!”
11. *** The Future Is A Drag 04:29 - Cacophony of drums intro, great buzzing Daniel Johnston recording quality. All drums and keyboards. 50’s teen bebopish quality. “We blew it, as a species…” Killer ending to a great album.
|1.||Waving Past Nirvana||6.||Even The Dead|
|2.||The 20 Teens||7.||Why Is Life|
|3.||Servants||8.||Sold Out Seatz|
|4.||Hit Me Up||9.||Workin'|
|11.||The Future Is A Drag|