Wide-ranging experimental miniatures, from synth drone to noise. The mysterious composer Zylucas Ilwirfskas of Yellow Springs, Ohio, put up a bunch of textured noise and drone EPs on Bandcamp in early 2019. The latest is this concerto which has something to do with a cartoon character called Garafield. (The second "a" is very important; liner notes that come with the Bandcamp download provide some elucidation.) There's a lot of stylistic variation in a short amount of time: soft reveries to industrial blasts. The whole thing is eleven-and-a-half minutes, so it's well worth playing the whole thing on continuous. Otherwise, favorites: 2, 4, 7. No words, no FCCs.
1. (1:59)—Slow, chittering beat. Languid bass.
2. *(3:36)—Churning, shuddering noise with pattering synth beeps.
3. (1:32)—Granular space synth melody.
4. *(1:28)—Peaceful droning ambient track with slightly distorted textures.
5. (1:09)—More gentle synth, rising in energy.
6. (0:36)—Distant electronic ping-pong sound with loud air conditioning. Harmonica drone?
7. *(1:13)—Low thrumming. A-grade refrigerator noise.