|Twin Peaks / Lookout Low|
|Artist:||Twin Peaks||Added:||Jan 2020|
|Label:||Grand Jury Music|
|Add Date:||2020-01-29||Pull Date:||2020-05-13|
|Week Ending:||Mar 15||Mar 8||Mar 1||Feb 23||Feb 16||Feb 9||Feb 2|
|1.||May 09, 2020:||Hanging in the bone yard |
Laid In Gold
|4.||Mar 13, 2020:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|2.||Mar 14, 2020:||Music Casserole |
|5.||Mar 05, 2020:||I Like to Dance: Shake Off Your Pants |
Dance Through It
|3.||Mar 13, 2020:||KZSU Training Hour |
|6.||Feb 28, 2020:||KZSU Time Traveler |
As an ultra fan of their earlier albums, this departure seems extreme, but given their gradual trend away from lo-fi alt rock to bluesy jams, this album seems like a clear endgame. As the band said in an interview, “it is our most honest piece of work to date,” and you can tell it’s been quite the journey. Taking a break from touring led them here, as did their purely midwestern origins. I’m glad to have grown up both physically with some of the band members in Chicago and emotionally through their musical evolution. Like when I moshed at their secret NYE party at a Northside Chicago church, I’m certain this album will bring about a good start to this year.
Recommended: 2, 3, 7
RIYL: Pavement, Fruit Bats, Alex G
1. Caseys Groove (4:05) *** - Starts with bongos and psych guitar, morphs into snare rolls and chords on chords.
2. Laid in Gold (3:14) ***** - Vocal and instrumental harmonies. Post choral jams are amazing. Pure gold.
3. Better Than Stoned (4:24) **** - Sex, drugs, or rock and roll? Apparently sex. Somebody tell Mark Applebaum!
4. Unfamiliar Sun (4:22) *** - Acoustic picking and chill soundscapes accompanied by toms.
5. Dance Through It (4:43) *** - Consistent drums and bass throughout. Synth adds flair and lyrics are repetitive. Good for chill dancing.
6. Lookout Low (3:58) *** - More country like dancing jams with harmonies.
7. Ferry Song (3:49) ***** - Instant classic.
8. Under a Smile (3:52) - See better than stoned, but less thrilling, more layered, and louder.
9. Oh Mama (5:42) *** - Has similar riffs to Eric Clapton’s cocaine, with more synth and yelling.
10. Sunken II (4:29) ** - Lower vocals and airy guitar.
|1.||Casey's Groove||6.||Lookout Low|
|2.||Laid In Gold||7.||Ferry Song|
|3.||Better Than Stoned||8.||Under A Smile|
|4.||Unfamiliar Sun||9.||Oh Mama|
|5.||Dance Through It||10.||Sunken II|