|Zelienople / Hold You Up|
|Album:||Hold You Up||Collection:||General|
|1.||Jan 14, 2021:||Stranded at Settembrini's (2020 in Review I) |
Such an Unkind Time
|2.||Apr 30, 2020:||Stranded at Settembrini's |
You Have It
Dark, slow, densely textured dream-rock. Like the house band in a David Lynch film playing twenty feet underwater, or desert blues performed in a cave. Since Zelienople released their last album in 2015, singer/guitarist Matt Christensen has recorded and released more than 100 albums on Bandcamp, many of which are very good, and a few of which are in KZSU's library. These recordings have an off-the-cuff feel, but there's also an aura of intense focus—rock & roll as group meditation practice. I love this band. RIYL late Talk Talk, Songs: Ohia, Labradford, Scott Tuma, or Ali Farka Toure or Tinariwen jamming with Low. All songs slow unless noted otherwise. Favorites: 3, 4, 5. No FCCs detected.|
1. (6:30)—Sudden start. Slow "New Grass"-like beat, mirage blues riff. "I feel safer taking care of you."
2. (6:05)—Free-tempo and loose, with rolling drums that rise and fall. Piano, squeaking cymbals.
3. *(8:14)—Gentle, chugging beat. Similar to track 1, but with more tension this time. Long intro. Gradual build.
4. *(4:36)—Mid-tempo, the single. Deep, galloping groove. Strong desert blues feel. Weary yet determined.
5. *(5:02)—Gentle organ, brushed drums. Bassoon? Calming, downcast. Talk Talk with lots of reverb.
6. (5:54)—Mid-tempo beat that reminds me of splashing rocks. The fastest song here, but rather gentle in texture.
|1.||Safer||4.||You Have It|
|2.||Breathe||5.||Just an Unkind Time|
|3.||Hold You Up||6.||America|