|Phone Voice / Cradle Tape|
|Add Date:||2022-03-14||Pull Date:||2022-05-16|
|Week Ending:||15 May||8 May||1 May||24 Apr||17 Apr||27 Mar||20 Mar|
|1.||Jun 11, 2022:||Music Casserole |
|4.||May 10, 2022:||Virtually Happy |
|2.||May 21, 2022:||Everything |
|5.||May 08, 2022:||Alien Hour |
|3.||May 14, 2022:||Music Casserole |
|6.||May 06, 2022:||Everything in Particular |
If I Were
KZSU alum! This is the first album by Chitra Subrahmanyam, who was a KZSU DJ under the name Pixel. She hosted a show called Shytown back in 2015. She's also an introspective and thoughtful songwriter, and this debut is full of carefully paced and emotionally complex songs, unsparingly honest and powerful without granting easy catharsis. Chitra's a big-time Elliott Smith fan, and she's gracefully tailored his influence to her own concerns and ends here. Her music is full of deep waters, sharp edges, and detailed emotional shadings. Also RIYL Quasi, David Berman, Palehound, Fiona Apple, Faye Webster, Songs: Ohia, Sparklehorse, Bedhead. Favorites: 2, 6, 8, 11. FCC WARNING: 7.|
1. (2:54)—Mid-tempo, acoustic guitar and multitracked voice only. "We were parallel lines / now we're off track."
2. *(3:53)—Mid-tempo, ruminative, churning and lumbering, with great quasi-dissonant chords.
3. (3:06)—Slow, a little noisy but not heavy. "Somehow every warm embrace is / leaving me colder."
4. (5:11)—Slow fingerpicked acoustic, with distant and wobbly piano. "Master of Dog / I promise you I'd be your biggest fan."
5. (4:32)—Mid-tempo, close to jangly guitar pop. "It'd be such a waste not to waste yourself / just this one time."
6. *(5:10)—Lovely and slightly ominous slow-dance music, grand and dreamy. Searing singing in the higher registers.
7. (3:22)—FCC (f***). Medium-slow, just acoustic guitar and voice and piano. Borderline country, with an intense chorus.
8. *(1:55)—Mid-tempo, gentle drums and acoustic guitar, a vulnerable and gorgeous miniature.
9. (3:05)—Slow. Jagged electric guitar, drums that enter midway. Wiry and gnarly, reminiscent of Bedhead. "No one will know / but I exist / and that's enough."
10. (2:43)—Medium-slow. Minimal drums, low strummed guitar, muted in mood.
11. *(6:47)—Medium-slow, almost processional. "I thought you said last time / would be the last time / but I guess that's what you said / the time before." Weary but triumphant, with a big rocking finish.
|2.||Stuck||7.||If I Were|
|5.||Ghost Hands||10.||Bug Bite|