|Olsen, Angel / Aisles|
|Add Date:||2022-02-26||Pull Date:||2022-04-30|
|Week Ending:||1 May||24 Apr||17 Apr||10 Apr||3 Apr||27 Mar||20 Mar||13 Mar|
|1.||May 31, 2022:||I Like to Dance: Shake Off Your Pants |
|4.||May 12, 2022:||Down in the Basement (rebroadcast from Mar 17, 2022) |
|2.||May 25, 2022:||I Like to Dance: Shake Off Your Pants (rebroadcast from Mar 15, 2022) |
Eyes Without A Face
|5.||May 03, 2022:||I Like to Dance: Shake Off Your Pants |
Eyes Without A Face
|3.||May 14, 2022:||Hanging In The Bone Yard |
|6.||Apr 29, 2022:||KZSU Time Traveler |
“Aisles” Angel Olsen|
5-track EP from North Carolina singer-songwriter, Angel Olsen. Psych rock-influenced covers of 80s synth pop radio hits that perhaps Olsen heard while shopping in supermarket aisles. An unexpected departure from some of her heavier material lately, including full albums in 2019 and 2020. RIYL: Soccer Mommy, Japanese Breakfast, 80s synth pop covers.
Recommended: All good — possibly start with 2, 3, 1. No FCCs noted.
1. (4:37) Gloria — Dirge-like cover of the 1982 synth pop standard by Laura Branigan. Ominous, slightly warped vocals. Growling organs and synths. Piano. Reverbed percussion. ***
2. (4:40) Eyes Without A Face — Lighter version of Billy Idol’s 1983 classic. Syncopated beats. Chime-y piano. Distorted lead vocals. ****
3. (3:51) Safety Dance — Cover of Men Without Hats’ 1983 release. Moody, measured pace. Pulsing synth pop. Slightly dreary vocals with some intriguing effects. Choral-like backing vocals. Wall of synths swirling. ****
4. (4:29) If You Leave — Olsen’s impressive take on the 1986 hit by Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark (OMD). Sweeter, but still distorted vocals. Shimmering, ethereal synths with some squiggles buoy the anthemic track.
5. (5:37) Forever Young — Cover of the 1984 release by German synth pop band, Alphaville. Reverent feeling — filled with church-like synths. Easy to imagine high school kids at an 80s prom dancing to this. Lengthy synth pop orchestra trail-out.
|2.||Eyes Without A Face||4.||If You Leave|