|Bye Bye Blackbirds, The / August Lightning Complex|
|Album:||August Lightning Complex||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Bye Bye Blackbirds, The||Added:||Feb 2022|
|Add Date:||2022-03-06||Pull Date:||2022-05-08|
|Week Ending:||May 1||Apr 17||Apr 10||Apr 3||Mar 27||Mar 20||Mar 13|
|1.||Apr 22, 2023:||Music Casserole |
|4.||Apr 29, 2022:||Music Genealogy |
Out On The Waves
|2.||Jan 13, 2023:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|5.||Apr 29, 2022:||KZSU Time Traveler |
We Got Lost
|3.||May 13, 2022:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|6.||Apr 16, 2022:||Music Casserole |
Out On The Waves
“August Lightning Complex” The Bye Bye Blackbirds|
Local Oakland-based indie rock band led by Bradley Joel Skaught. 6th album. Big guitar sound with a hint of Americana at times, performed in a style that begs to be live. Rich harmonized vocals, with lyrics that examine the turbulent times we’ve endured over the past two years. Contemporary sound…yet also a throwback to the great guitar rock of the 70s. RIYL: Tom Petty, R.E.M., Neil Young & Crazy Horse, The Byrds, or any 70s guitar rock.
Recommended: 8, 1, 3, 2, 10, 9. No FCCs noted.
1. (3:02) Want Show As Young — Early-70s rock, with tasty guitar licks and prominent horns. Steady, train-like rhythm. Harmonized vocals. ****
2. (3:19) Mechanics — High-energy rocker with a hint of Americana. ***
3. (3:03) Out On The Waves — Rolling and swaying, like a boat riding on ocean swells. Plinking piano throughout, with guitar attacks for emphasis. ***
4. (3:28) Something From The Old World — Shuffling, guitar-based rock. Swallowed vocals. Fuzzy and jangly guitars in the lead break.
5. (1:19) August Lightning Complex — Fingerpicked guitar interlude.
6. (2:56) We Got Lost — Deliberate tempo. Layered guitar rock with lead vocals featuring a duet between Bradley Skaught and Kelly Atkins.
7. (0:59) We Got Lost (Reprise) — Play-out of Track 6 after a beat. Play on continuous to add it. A flurry of in-your-face guitars.
8. (2:25) Favorite Stars — Straight-ahead rocker with trademark Bye Bye Blackbirds sound. Edgy guitars, mixed with silky, harmonized vocals. ****
9. (9:15) Marching — Slow-burn epic blues rock anthem. Drone-y, march-like pace with shimmering guitar effects. Almost crooning vocals. Gets big and clashy as the song progresses. ***
10. (4:55) Don’t Wait — Late-70s big guitar rock closer. Explosive bursts punctuate familiar-sounding melody from back-in-the-day guitar heroes. Searing lead break. ***
|1.||Want Show As Young||6.||We Got Lost|
|2.||Mechanics||7.||We Got Lost (Reprise)|
|3.||Out On The Waves||8.||Favorite Stars|
|4.||Something From The Old World||9.||Marching|
|5.||August Lightning Complex||10.||Don't Wait|