|Grndntl Brnds / Great Dumbening Cd, the|
|Album:||Great Dumbening Cd, the||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Grndntl Brnds||Added:||Apr 2002|
|Add Date:||2002-08-12||Pull Date:||2002-10-14|
|Week Ending:||Oct 6||Sep 29||Sep 22||Sep 15||Sep 8|
|1.||Aug 18, 2004:||Mr. Sparkle Challenge |
|4.||Oct 02, 2003:||Mr. Sparkle Challenge |
|2.||May 20, 2004:||Mr. Sparkle Challenge |
|5.||Aug 21, 2003:||Mr. Sparkle Challenge |
Comforting the Lonely
|3.||Feb 26, 2004:||Mr. Sparkle Challenge |
|6.||Mar 25, 2003:||Mr. Sparkle Challenge |
Comforting the Lonely
GRNDNTL BRNDS "The Great Dumbening" - The 2nd album from these kids from Oakland and it kicks! For those who don't know, you pronounce it "Grand National Brands." Made up of members from Fibulator, Thinking Fellers Union Local 282, and a lot more. They are similar to the bands they hail from. Definitely indie rock/pop with plenty of noise and weirdness. They like changing their beat a lot and layering different instruments. They balance the indie rock/pop appeal and noisiness really well. It's very easy to get lost in this album. All songs are good and worth playing. They're also pretty long too (most are over 5 minutes).|
My Picks: 1, 2, 6, 7, 10
Katie P. 8/5/02
1) Starts with guitars and lots of stereo effects. Midtempo, but not a real solid beat until later. Builds and builds. Nice mellow vocals. Feels pretty epic with loud guitars and vocals, and then it deconstructs into noisy guitar. Then it changes into a lazy spacey tune with lots of noise near the end.
2) Midtempo indie rock/pop. Male and female vocals. Pretty cool, soft and sweet. Strange lyrics.
3) Midtempo with minimal guitars to start, then adding more layers. Clear female vocals.
4) Faster midtempo indie rock/pop song. Clear female vocals again. Keeps a nice driving beat and doesn't get boring.
5) Slower song that drags. Guitar layering is really cool. It has a somewhat spacey sound to it. Female vocals. This has moments of Spiritualized.
6) Midtempo indie rock/pop tune. And as the title suggests, it is a waltz (well it's in ¾ time). Mainly female vocals, but some male vocals.
7) Faster midtempo with male vocals this time. Heavier guitars.
8) Uptempo with a driving beat. Both male and female vocals. Changes beat/tempo a few times (gets slower and faster).
9) Midtempo indie rock/pop song. Female vocals with some male backups.
10) Quiet guitar starts it off, then the female vocals. Band comes in slowly and it keeps building. Nice solid midtempo song with mostly indie rock style.
|2.||Comforting the Lonely||7.||Empty Space|
|5.||Rain Barrel||10.||Fm Radio|