|John Sparrow, the / John Sparow, the|
|Album:||John Sparow, the||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||John Sparrow, the||Added:||05/2002|
|Label:||Arms Reach Recordings|
|Add Date:||2002-08-05||Pull Date:||2002-10-07|
|1.||May 28, 2003:||the discovery channel |
|4.||Aug 13, 2002:||Mr. Sparkle Challenge |
|2.||Aug 27, 2002:||Mr. Sparkle Challenge |
|5.||Aug 06, 2002:||Mr. Sparkle Challenge |
|3.||Aug 19, 2002:||Come When I Whistle |
Freddie Mercury Afterworld
The John Sparrow "The John Sparrow" - Three kids from Houston Texas (I think) playing power pop. It's actually some of the better stuff that I've heard in this genre. They like to rock out and create some seriously catchy songs. The nice thing is that they even add some elements of psychedelia and some plain old weirdness. Nothing on here is going to floor you with its awesome power, but it's kind of fun and sort of grows on you. |
My Picks: 2, 4, 6 (well, 6 is just weird)
Katie P. 7/2/02
1) Starts with short-wave radio sounds. Guitars fade in and it goes into an uptempo power pop tune. Catchy lyrics. Weird radio sounds end abruptly.
2) Bouncy uptempo with a bit of a psychedelic feel. Very catchy and fun.
3) Midtempo shuffle that turns a little bouncy. Again very catchy lyrics but not quite as fun and enjoyable. The song feels a little sad.
4) A bit more of a heavy rock feel, but still poppy. Guitars have a slight psychedelic feel again. Ooo, nice guitar solo with handclaps in the background!
5) Cute guitar line into power chords. Catchy and fun. Even has harmonica in this one. Not quite as happy, a bit more lamenting.
6) Starts slow on guitar and piano. About 1:30 into the song the guitars hit heavy and they come in yelling lyrics. Bizarro lyrics. I can't tell if they are serious or being silly about Freddie Mercury. Either way it's pretty funny. Fades out with short-wave radio sounds.
|2.||Sgt. Pilcher||5.||Caffine, Sugar and Techno|
|3.||Pressure Cooking||6.||Freddie Mercury Afterworld|