|Snowglobe / Our Land Brains|
|Album:||Our Land Brains||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2002-09-23||Pull Date:||2002-11-25|
|Week Ending:||20 Oct||13 Oct||29 Sep|
|1.||May 21, 2007:||Something about music |
|4.||Sep 24, 2002:||Mr. Sparkle Challenge |
|2.||Oct 16, 2002:||Fine Tuning Utopia |
|5.||Sep 23, 2002:||Come When I Whistle |
|3.||Oct 09, 2002:||Lick Something |
Smiles and Frowns
Snowglobe "Our Land Brains" - Four kids from Memphis, TN playing some cool lush pop music. It also has a flavor of country-folk music, but it's primarily pop. Tons of instrumental layers in each song sort of like the Beach Boys in their orchestral songs (you know, Brian Wilson kind of stuff). Horns, strings, keyboards, piano, guitars, and lots of percussion. Songs have a tendency to change form and don't sound the same all the way through. Overall this is quite nice. Definitely worth playing.|
My Picks: 2, 11, 12
Katie P. 9/9/02
1) Fades in slowly with spaced out keyboards and guitars. Then adds vocals and acoustic guitar. Midtempo tune.
2) Piano waltz with other instruments coming in here and there. Cute little pop tune.
3) Horns start it out. Slow and short instrumental.
4) Midtempo indie rock. Lots of instruments including horns, guitars, drums, and keyboards.
5) Slow meandering tune in 6/8 time. Strings and piano with other percussion. Instrumental.
6) Guitar and vocals. Midtempo tune. Has a bit of a country feel. More instruments layer in.
7) Horns and guitar with an almost swing feel in 6/8 time. Again gets a country feel at times with lots of layered instruments.
8) Horns again. Sort of dreary. Short instrumental.
9) Fades in with keyboards and guitar. Goes into a bouncy uptempo tune. Cute pop. Slows at points. Then goes into a long slow instrumental piece.
10) Uptempo guitar, drums, horns, and keyboards. Cute song.
11) Midtempo with acoustic guitar, vocals, and tambourine to start. Strings are added and then horns.
12) Faster midtempo with acoustic guitar and vocals. Chorus of backup vocals. Keeps building until a solid beat comes in. Then it slows. Then some handclapping and spacey guitars. Wow, lush vocals here. It just keeps changing. Sort of ends and then fades back in with organ.
13) Midtempo guitar strumming. Nice simple pop tune that keeps adding more and more layers of instruments. Song changes slightly at the very end.
14) Faster midtempo pop. Simple guitar strumming.
Picks up speed a little and of course lots of instruments.
15) Piano and vocals with a waltzy feel.
16) A quick tambourine shake. That's all.
|1.||Waves Rolling||9.||Smiles and Frowns|
|6.||Big City Lights||14.||The Song that Frustrates Us|
|7.||Adrenaline Mother||15.||Goodbye Dream|