|Gopalnath, Kadri / Scintillating Sax|
|Add Date:||2003-01-13||Pull Date:||2003-03-17||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||16 Feb||9 Feb||2 Feb||26 Jan||19 Jan|
|1.||Jul 18, 2021:||No Cover, No Minimum: Monday Edition (rebroadcast from Jul 2, 2018) |
|4.||Jun 14, 2005:||It's different |
Marugelara O Raghava
|2.||Jul 02, 2018:||No Cover, No Minimum: Monday Edition |
|5.||Mar 30, 2005:||It's different |
|3.||Mar 01, 2018:||Melange |
|6.||Mar 28, 2005:||It's different |
Marugelara O Raghava
Gopalnath, Kadri: Scintillating Sax - South Indian Classical Music|
This is a really cool CD! Gopalnath is a brilliant saxophonist who uses an alto sax to perform Indian classical music ragas. He uses this "western" instrument in such a way that he's attracted a lot of attention from serious jazz circles. This CD is not an East-West "fusion", though. These are truly traditional S. Indian classical songs performed through a different choice of instruments. The improvisational aspects of Gopalnath's sax playing may resemble some of the wildest jazz licks - but the music is distinctly Indian and incredibly exotic. I dare the jazz shows to give this CD a play! Try: 1,3,4,5.
1. Full of celebratory flourishes. Lively improvisation and interaction w/ violin. Perky & rhythmic. This is a raga that prays to the elephant-headed god Vinayaka.
2. Lively and melodic improvisations, some very dramatic moments. Sax alternates w/ violin; has a very strong jazz-like sound to it.
3. A more contemplative piece, begins w/ meditative & flowing improvisations, picks up some intensity later. Fun bouncy sounds of the jew's harp.
4. This is a long piece, that starts really softly and develops rather slowly. A clay pot (ghatam adds some percussive tones. The melodic theme is slowly built up, halfway through the piece the improvisations become more and more lively. Strong finishing flourishes from a variety of instruments (including jew's harp & the ghatam).
5. Apparently this is a snake-charmer's song. Very cool & exotic.
6. Short & sweet - playful improvisations.
Also short & sweet & playful.
|1.||Gnaana Vinaayakane||4.||Kripaya Paalaya|
|2.||Sabhapathikku Vearu Deivam||5.||Magudi|
|3.||Marugelara O Raghava||6.||Swami Sangeeta|