|Nettle / Build a Fort, Set that on Fire|
|Album:||Build a Fort, Set that on Fire||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2003-02-17||Pull Date:||2003-04-21||Charts:||RPM/Electronica, Classical/Experimental|
|Week Ending:||20 Apr||13 Apr||6 Apr||16 Mar||9 Mar||2 Mar||23 Feb|
|1.||Feb 06, 2006:||Stirling's Approximation |
|4.||Sep 12, 2003:||Stirling's Approxiamtion |
The Ballad of Jimmy Hollin
|2.||Jun 13, 2005:||Stirling's Approximation |
The Ballad of Jimmy Hollin
|5.||Apr 14, 2003:||Stirling's Approximation |
The End of Public Space
|3.||Jan 17, 2005:||Stirling's Approximation |
|6.||Apr 09, 2003:||Off the Path |
The name, Nettle, is pretty descriptive. At first touch, this music prickles at your ears, and you might wish you had gloves on. But if you boil it, what a tasty meal! Yum. Nettle is collaboration between two Madrid residents, DD and dj /rupture. These core members bring together an eccentric mix of music and samples from throughout the world. It is noisy, disjointed, and melodic at times, disorienting, and beautiful. Middle eastern sounds are thread throughout the album. Sounds very much like dj /rupture's other work, and in fact some tracks are remixes. It also reminds me of Amon Tobin. I like: 1,7,9,11,12,14|
1. Starts off sounding like its skipping. Clips of beats, electronic sounds, hip hop, violin, keyboards fade in and out of each other in a jarring manner. Once in a while works into a steady song where the turning on and off of the clips creates the tempo of the song. Other times the clips are layered to create a smoother song. (reminds me of Prefuse 73 a bit)
2. string instrument, male vocals and glitchy samples layered on top of a distorted, glitchy, evolving beat.
3. middle eastern string melody overshadowed by distorted glitchy beats.
4. slow paced. Guitar and keyboards with spacey electronic sounds and a basic beat.
5. inconsistent beats with keyboard sounds interlaced. could be good for a sound bed.
6. some nice deep beats mixed with cheesy electronic sounds and middle eastern flute. dance track.
7. slow paced. starts off soft, like there’s music on in the next room on. Bits and pieces come into the forefront. Samples of glass breaking, someone walking around and a girl laughing play in the foreground intermittently.
8. glitched distortion over a simple beat. A more thumping beat breaks in around 1:30.
9. middle eastern string music starts off the song, and weaves itself into the rest. Male singing, hip hop sample, pumping beat.
10. distorted beat, lays the groundwork for a flute melody and other sounds.
11. slow … F-ed up vocal samples float through light fun beats. Almost starts to sound outer spacey. Towards the end of the song, the light beats evolve into a harder, more bumpin beat.
12. hyperglitched and wavey samples, fits of distortion, beam-me-up electronic sounds, male vocal talking about hash?, .manu chao sample.
13. fast paced. Starts and ends slow with vocal samples over glitchy beats. Bongos, keyboards, strings, and bumpin beats are in the middle.
14. distorted beats, underlying melodies.
15. bongos, underlying string instrument, glitched beats. Middle eastern sample.
|2.||Minesweeper Dub||9.||The Ballad of Jimmy Hollin|
|7.||The End of Public Space||14.||Duppy|