Another great installment from Chicago Thrill Jockey icons, their sixth full-length under this name. Beautifully done pop album, smooth and dreamy with the breathy vocals of Sam Prekop mixed very high. John McEntire makes his presence known mixing and with his typical smooth, jazzy electronica beats. Like their previous albums, the mood and feel dwells in the realm of Saint Etienne, Stereolab. 7, 1, 5, 6, 3.
1. upbeat, stereolab or belle & sebastian-like song with long sweet intro before vocals come in, spacy at the end and fades out…
2. acoustic + vocal backbone. jazz guitar harmonies. not great.
3. dancy, electronica beat-driven song with catchy vocal melody. wah-wah keyboards. think saint etienne with mcentire’s beats.
4. chilled out, also driven by beats and voice.
5. upbeat and dancy. happy vocal melody. very saint etienne in its upbeat disco feel.
6. loungy with jazz guitar harmonies, latin feel. sweet vocal melody.
7. very down tempo, spacious and beautiful. changes mood and picks up at end. great song.
8. more upbeat, culminates with too many vocal tracks of prekop.
9. loungy touch of latin acoustic/vocal backbone. a nice little number.
10. dancy, beat driven cover of david bowie featuring aluminum group.