Also known as Palace, Will Oldham is like Leonard Cohen for me: dark, depressing folk music (sometimes called gothic), perfect to drink, cry, and slit your wrists to. Although this album is not as lyrically developed as his earlier work, Will Oldham’s quivering voice still communicates an honesty and pathos that will pull the heart strings of anyone who knows enough to not take their happiness for granted. Musically starker (virtually 90% voice + acoustic guitar) and with more religious overtones (enhanced by the backup female country singer). Not his best work but still beautiful and moving. 4, 6, 9, 1, 3.
1. sweet acoustic love song, cello backing.
2. slow acoustic duet with female backing voice
3. I like when he sings alone.
4. nice sounds very low in mix, female voice sounds like a flute
5. slightly brighter than other songs, female backing, religious song?
6. another pretty duet
7. duet that somehow sounds like a forgotten christmas carol
8. different, more bluesy with sounds low in the mix
9. cute, with computer effect on his backup vox; brief melodica solo
10. another cute country duet