|Various Artists / Inner City Sounds|
|Album:||Inner City Sounds||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2003-07-07||Pull Date:||2003-09-08|
|Week Ending:||14 Sep||31 Aug||24 Aug||17 Aug||10 Aug||3 Aug||27 Jul||20 Jul|
|1.||Jan 30, 2020:||Run-Away-Radio |
In One Peace
|4.||Feb 27, 2014:||Sunshine ... in the Afternoon |
It's Your Thing
|2.||Apr 17, 2014:||Sunshine ... in the Afternoon |
|5.||Feb 13, 2014:||Sunshine . . . on a Full Moon Afterooon |
In One Peace, (3-ish p.m.) Spread the News
|3.||Mar 13, 2014:||Sunshine . . . in the Afternoon! |
|6.||Jan 16, 2014:||Sunshine ... in the Afternoon |
|The Dead Kenny-Gs|
Inner City Sounds|
Rare and unreleased California funk. I'll leave the liner notes to give you the historical context for these songs—I'll just say that this is some nice obscure funk and soul, recorded in LA in the 70s. There are a few rough edges, but OK because good funk is often a little less polished. The sound is close to the Bay Area sound, bands like Sly and the Family Stone, Tower of Power, Cold Sweat, and so on. For the most part you can trust Luv 'N' Haight compilations, this is another fine installment in the series—Highly recommended.
1) *Fuzzy funk, male + female duet vocals
2) **Hard charging Hammond led cover of the Isley Brothers' classic
3) Female vocals, kinda drags.
4) Psychedelic funk, tempo changes
5) Female vocal soul/early disco
6) *Groovy up-tempo funk
7) **Instrumental Family Stone cover, hard up-tempo with heavy wah-wah
8) *Relaxed female vocal funk, her voice grates a little but it's a good song anyway.
9) **Nice solid consistent funk groove revolving around a chunky guitar. Instruments layer in and out one at a time, including vocals at the end
10) *Horns and vocals, sort of a Tower of Power groove.
11) *More up-tempo then track 8, but the same comments apply.
12) Short instrumental, kinda weird.
13) *Short instrumental, hits pretty hard.
Tom Purcell, June 2003