|Artist:||Parmerud, Ake||Added:||Jun 2003|
|Add Date:||2003-08-18||Pull Date:||2003-10-20||Charts:||Classical/Experimental|
|Week Ending:||Sep 14||Sep 7|
|1.||Sep 09, 2003:||Arabian Nights
|2.||Sep 04, 2003:||Civil Society
Les Flutes En Feu
All 6 tracks are 10 minutes or over. They’re all ambient sound collages with artsy liner notes. All are like background sounds in films—mostly leisurely soundscapes that are metallic, electronic, and slowly tense. Number 4 is kinda cool.
* 1. Strings & Shadows—wandering harp, more like a tone poem than a linear melody—quiet tense light harp, and synthesized string sounds. Bells and other light sounds shimmer against soft dark synth chords. the liner notes say this is an old dying actress, dancing with the shadows of her past as death nears. Track ends early.
2. Stringquartett—starts out with lonesome single notes; a tape composition creating a tense string quartet that sounds like the soundtrack for an insects attacking film—half soundtrack and half insect-attack sounds. Has very quiet moments.
3. Renaissance—Starts with a long silence, really quiet and leisurely, mostly soaring and burbling space sounds. created with old analog synthesizers and Renaissance instruments like lute, viola de gamba, and krumhorns. (how can you not play a piece that features krumhorms?) ends with triumphant renaissance dance with synth over.
* 4. Retur—based on transcriptions of a Charlie Parker solo—quiet meandering saxophone over occasional buzzing trilling insect-sounds. Trips occasionally into moments of jazz band sound, with loud soloing sax and backup percussion. but mostly quiet.
5. Les flutes en feu—starts super quiet, with isolated chimes and manipulated flute—spacy wasteland, with sort of mechanical fire-ey sounds—a cash register burning slowly on Mars?
6. Repulse—like being inside a huge video game? Sounds of things shuttling around. Liner notes say: five layers of sound. Creekbed sounds under vaguely ominous chords and sounds of metallic things buzzing and bumping.
|1.||Strings & Shadows||4.||Retur|
|2.||Stringquartett||5.||Les Flutes En Feu|