|Children's Hour, the / Sos Jfk|
|Artist:||Children's Hour, the||Added:||06/2003|
|Add Date:||2003-10-13||Pull Date:||2003-12-15|
|Week Ending:||26 Oct||19 Oct|
|1.||Oct 10, 2006:||What's in the Ice Box? |
|3.||Oct 14, 2003:||Off the Path |
|2.||Oct 24, 2003:||Distraction-Limited |
|4.||Sep 06, 2003:||between the nine worlds |
The Children's Hour "SOS JFK" - On their first full-length album this duo puts forth simple folk music with some indie rock sensibilities. Mostly you'll hear acoustic guitars, but there are some songs with drums, piano, bass, etc. Vocals are all smooth, round, breathy, high, female vocals. This is the one part I didn't really like. Her voice is very distinctive (reminds me a little of Kate Bush) and it really annoyed me, but other people may enjoy it. Songs are very simple and pretty. They almost seem like they are written for children. Songs are very innocent and some have religious subjects. Recommended for anyone wanting some folk or folky indie rock.|
My Picks: 5, 8
Katie P. 10/1/03
1) Quiet and slow acoustic fingering. Female la-las come in. The vocal layering is nice.
2) Again soft acoustic guitar fingering along with soft and smooth female vocals. Quite pretty. At least 3 instruments layered by the end.
3) Very slow acoustic guitar. Some strumming that almost sounds slightly out of tune. Gives this a dreary feel (which works with what most people would think of Wyoming).
4) More guitar fingering. Wow, even a drum on this one. This one feels quite poppy.
5) More of the same guitar fingering with smooth female vocals on top. Nice talking between the two guitars and then some piano. Actually gets relatively intense and louder.
6) Slow and dragging guitar strumming. Part way through a 2nd guitar is added. Vocals are kind of weird. It sounds like a quasi-traditional work song, but sung with high-pitched female vocals.
7) Some nice simple guitar fingering. More guitar and drums are added. Song about being adopted. This feels more indie rock.
8) Slow fingering and then another guitar is added. Soft and pretty. The guitars are really nice on this one.
9) Quiet guitars to start. Gets louder and more intense.
10) Drums on this from the beginning along with guitar strumming. Cute indie rock feel to it.
11) Spanish flavor to the guitar here. Sort of sad feel to it, but with some intensity.
12) Light hearted and happy feeling. Feels ever so slightly Asian.
13) Very quiet and soft guitar. Drums come in and it gets a more indie rock/pop feel to it. Cute.
|1.||Little Boy||7.||Adoption Day|
|4.||Kindness of Strangers||10.||Special King|
|6.||The Lumberjack Song||12.||The Chinese Song|