Her 2nd album is a delicious blend of sounds, languages, and influences. Everything from a cover of a Joan Armatrading song, to Tuvan throat singing, Indian classical, and African drums. It’s varied and good, united by her smoky, sexy alto & strong guest performers. Great stuff. At least one star for each track…pick a cut and play it.
1. Sexy modern take on a 70’s Ethopian pop song. Wow!
2. Relaxed Indo/African groove.
3. Fiddle, throat-singing, mid-tempo vocals. Very cool.
4. Slow & forlorn….but really lovely.
5. Mid/uptempo mix w/tabla/vocals/drums.
6. Slow Indian/jazz sound, then a faster flamenco energy.
7. Low-key North Indian song w/ some sweet kora added.
8. Tony Allen on drums, tabla, driving Indian vocals. Great.
9. Slow and simple w/piano & vocals…a sad, elegant sound.
10. Mid-tempo pop, remake from a 50’s Bollywood movie.
11. Dramatic vocal/tabla duet. Cool percussive jam at end.