|Nonesuch Explorer Series / Ghana: Ancient Ceremonies, Das|
|Album:||Ghana: Ancient Ceremonies, Das||Collection:||World|
|Artist:||Nonesuch Explorer Series||Added:||09/2003|
|Add Date:||2004-09-20||Pull Date:||2004-11-21||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||14 Nov||7 Nov||10 Oct||26 Sep|
|1.||Mar 07, 2014:||Aporeia some more |
|4.||Oct 07, 2004:||Sun in Libra, Moon in Pisces |
|2.||Nov 12, 2004:||No Cover, No Minimum - I Like To Riff! |
Chocun and Gyamadudu
|5.||Oct 06, 2004:||Dross |
|3.||Nov 05, 2004:||Still No Cover, No Minimum |
|6.||Sep 25, 2004:||Storytime! |
Originally released in 1979. Another fascinating Nonesuch field recording featuring traditional songs recorded in markets, villages, and during ceremonies. Typically with lots of intricate percussion. Read the notes for information on individual songs & instruments. |
*1. Fast percussion, voices singing, crying, screaming. Very cool.
*2. Wild dzil (xylophone) duet w/great energy.
3. Set of 3 songs for solo male voice & gonje (lute). Mid/uptempo.
*4. Fast & complex drumming w/wonderful patterns of sound.
5. Drums & high-pitched, squeaky flutes in a fast blend of sound.
6. Women in a call/response ceremony w/rattles. Fast/midtempo.
7. Drums, rattles, women singing. Fast & catchy.
8. Flutes & drums drive this fast & lively dance.
*9. Solo voice in a warm and humming a capella track.
*10. Upbeat percussion, crowd noise. Great sound to this dance.
11. Another wild percussion jam w/great energy.
|1.||Dogumbo Song||6.||Ahanta Chant I|
|2.||Dzil Duet||7.||Ahanta Chant Ii|
|3.||Gonje Songs||8.||Wiiks and Mpintintoa|
|5.||Kassena-Nankani Festival||10.||Chocun and Gyamadudu|