|Nonesuch Explorer Series / Java: The Jasmine Isle: Gamelan Music|
|Album:||Java: The Jasmine Isle: Gamelan Music||Collection:||World|
|Artist:||Nonesuch Explorer Series||Added:||09/2003|
|Add Date:||2005-07-10||Pull Date:||2005-09-11||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||11 Sep||21 Aug||31 Jul||24 Jul|
|1.||Dec 09, 2015:||12-9-2015 |
|4.||Jul 25, 2005:||Plastic Fantastic Lover |
|2.||Sep 04, 2005:||Coronary Heart Disease |
|5.||Jul 24, 2005:||"In Your Ear..." le Tour de France Win for Lance, 7th & Final... |
|3.||Aug 18, 2005:||I once was a world citizen |
|6.||Jul 18, 2005:||plastic fantastic lover |
Java The Jasmine Isle: Gamelan Music Nonesuch, 2003 |
Originally recorded in 1969 and released on vinyl, this remastering is dated 03.
A sampler of the Javanese gamelan style, this recording uses instruments only.
These are popular standards played just for the sake of recordist David
Lewiston. The booklet reproduces the original liner notes and has the great
bonus of clear photos of each instrument used in the recording.
Faves: 1,3,7, (Dr D 07-05)
(All track titles and times on back of case)
1. Solo gender, the marimba of gamelan using bronze keys and bamboo resonators
2. Sundanese gamelan (no gender) playing representative Sunda piece
3. Same piece as 2 with solo gambang, a xylophone with bamboo keys
4. Surakarta piece, dance music, slow, measured pace of love obsession
5. Jogjakarta piece, used to signify the end of a night’s performance
6. Sundanese piece, med pace, lots of interplay and off-beat drumming
7. Sundanese version of 4, this as a gambang solo piece. Med upbeat, fun
8.Jogjakarta style, heavy and portentous as befits preparation for battle
9. Honoring the ‘sacred water buffalo’, med lilting, dance piece used as
wedding overture and in other ceremonies
10. Jogjakarta piece, slow, accompanies a mask dance. Title is ‘excited’
but music is measured and stately.