|Quails, the / Song Is Love, the|
|Album:||Song Is Love, the||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Quails, the||Added:||Sep 2003|
|Label:||Mr Lady Records & Videos|
|Add Date:||2003-11-03||Pull Date:||2004-01-05|
|Week Ending:||Jan 4||Dec 14||Nov 30||Nov 16||Nov 9|
|1.||Feb 24, 2007:||Biff Bang Pow |
|4.||Oct 26, 2006:||At Your Local Dive |
|2.||Jan 23, 2007:||At Your Local Dive (except for the last 30min - Marco's trip down memory lane) |
|5.||Sep 27, 2006:||At Your Local Dive |
|3.||Nov 30, 2006:||At Your Local Dive |
|6.||Aug 05, 2006:||What's In the Icebox |
With members originally from DC but now stationed in San Francisco, The Quails bring us urgent catchy political punk complete with grrrl vocals, moments of 80s punk roots, and an ornately played fuzz bass. Sometimes dancy, sometimes dense, and always politically minded, this is some hot shit! I have to say that it took me a couple of listens to get into it because I’m really picky about melodic vocals over punk riffs, but once I felt it I found a fantastic rock energy! Think also of Sleater-Kinney and Erase Errata, a member of which recorded their last album. There a lot of great songs here but... 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 10, 12.|
1. starts quiet w/ great shouts, then rocks out. ridiculously catchy.
2. catchy guitar hook, almost dancy, then rocks out.
3. super rockin’ verse with accents, noisy guitar, boy/girl vox
4. hard slow-midtempo groove, noisy repetitive guitar riff. great!
5. upbeat, playful, and dancy. intro- i’m hearing joy division.
6. very cool bass/guitar riff interplay, so good!
7. acoustic country swing about war
8. upbeat, meant to be catchy but doesn’t quite do it for me
9. catchy upbeat punk with straight up riffs and good breaks
10. midtempo 80s girl punk sound, nice pulsing middle section
11. straight up rock riff, hard and rockin’
12. great gang of four funky groove over noisy guitar
13. nice intro, and a great middle section going thru different catchy riffs. ends at about -1:25.
14. midtempo sludgy w/ male vox. FCC but great anthemic chorus!
|1.||More Gender, More of the Tim||7.||The War Will Be Over When Wt|
|2.||Pitch Memory||8.||Move Forward|
|3.||Change Will Come||9.||Cold War|
|4.||We'll Take It||10.||Fight to Win|
|6.||Pals Have a Go||12.||He Likes to Lift Heavy Thing|
|13.||What I Saw|