|Artist:||Mates of State||Added:||Sep 2003|
|Label:||Polyvinyl Record Co.|
|Add Date:||2003-10-13||Pull Date:||2003-12-15|
|Week Ending:||Dec 14||Nov 30||Nov 23||Nov 16||Nov 9||Nov 2||Oct 26||Oct 19|
|1.||May 11, 2008:||Undrinkably Bad Oddities
|4.||Jan 03, 2007:||Eran Mukamel (R-CA) (Contemporary Amish Music)
|2.||May 30, 2007:||Where the Girls Are
|5.||Oct 03, 2006:||What's in the Icebox?
|3.||Apr 30, 2007:||Something about music
|6.||Jun 20, 2006:||Radio Of Imagination
My Picks: 1, 2, 3, 8, 12 Katie P. 10/3/03
1) Starts with piano and then hits in with their distinctive organ and vocal harmonies. Syncopated midtempo that alternates with straight hits. Wow, totally changes at places and gets all fast. Man, this is great!! Super catchy and fun. Just try not to sing along with this one.
2) Swing tempo with cute organ and funny lyrics. Ooo, and horns on this too. Flows really nice and has a great play between the competing vocals.
3) Dance beat to start and then it slows a bit when the vocals come in. Chorus has a great organ line. Goes back and forth between fast dance song and slower smoother parts. This is pure pop bliss. Ends abruptly.
4) Slower dragging midtempo. Oooh, fun handclaps and groups singing in there. This feels a bit more minimal with the percussive organ at times and then get full with smooth organ.
5) Droning organ to start. Drums come in to a nice solid midtempo with almost a swing feel at times. This has a sadder feel to it.
6) Slower midtempo. This is pretty sad. Nice cute organ line that has the smooth bell quality to it. The backup vocals on this song are really nice.
7) Percussive organ to start. Falls into a swing midtempo. This is really pretty.
8) Starts with drum hits and adds piano. Solid midtempo. This is quite cute, but the lyrics are kinda sad. Sort of seems like a song about jumping out of an airplane and falling to your death (maybe it's a metaphor?). Ooh, and handclaps!
9) Nice hi-hat drum break start. Blippy organ noises. Organ comes in with a melody and it falls into a slower midtempo. The vocal layers on this are great. Oo, then it builds and adds horns. Gets really full and lush.
10) Solid midtempo song that has a bit of a minor key to start but then falls into major key at times too. Pretty cool.
11) Solid midtempo and fun. Great organ line in this one. I'm loving the line "This couldn't be more ghetto!"
12) Wow, really nice organ on this. Not sure what kind of organ, but it's really airy, round, and full. Simple almost metronome percussion. This is really pretty.
|1.||Ha Ha||7.||Gotta Get a Problem|
|4.||Open Book||10.||Sound It Off|
|5.||Middle Is Gold||11.||I Got this Feelin'|
|6.||The Kissaway||12.||Separate the People|