Mates of State "Team Boo" - The third full-length album from the married duo and it does not disappoint! Immediately you'll recognize the distinctive organ and vocal harmonies that they are famous for. Although this time they experiment ever so slightly with different instruments (a trumpet here and there, piano, and some other organs/keyboards). The songs are amazingly catchy and just so darn cute with particularly excellent vocals on this one. They seem to have a bigger emphasis on lyrics on this album in that they aren't as simple as previous ones (although they are still poetically cryptic). The play between the two on vocals is great and the layered harmonies are wonderful. The other thing to notice is how in most songs there are at least 2 or 3 changes in tempo/mood/style. Each time I listen to this I like it more and more. Highly highly recommended if you like pop. Play it!!!
My Picks: 1, 2, 3, 8, 12 Katie P. 10/3/03
1) Starts with piano and then hits in with their distinctive organ and vocal harmonies. Syncopated midtempo that alternates with straight hits. Wow, totally changes at places and gets all fast. Man, this is great!! Super catchy and fun. Just try not to sing along with this one.
2) Swing tempo with cute organ and funny lyrics. Ooo, and horns on this too. Flows really nice and has a great play between the competing vocals.
3) Dance beat to start and then it slows a bit when the vocals come in. Chorus has a great organ line. Goes back and forth between fast dance song and slower smoother parts. This is pure pop bliss. Ends abruptly.
4) Slower dragging midtempo. Oooh, fun handclaps and groups singing in there. This feels a bit more minimal with the percussive organ at times and then get full with smooth organ.
5) Droning organ to start. Drums come in to a nice solid midtempo with almost a swing feel at times. This has a sadder feel to it.
6) Slower midtempo. This is pretty sad. Nice cute organ line that has the smooth bell quality to it. The backup vocals on this song are really nice.
7) Percussive organ to start. Falls into a swing midtempo. This is really pretty.
8) Starts with drum hits and adds piano. Solid midtempo. This is quite cute, but the lyrics are kinda sad. Sort of seems like a song about jumping out of an airplane and falling to your death (maybe it's a metaphor?). Ooh, and handclaps!
9) Nice hi-hat drum break start. Blippy organ noises. Organ comes in with a melody and it falls into a slower midtempo. The vocal layers on this are great. Oo, then it builds and adds horns. Gets really full and lush.
10) Solid midtempo song that has a bit of a minor key to start but then falls into major key at times too. Pretty cool.
11) Solid midtempo and fun. Great organ line in this one. I'm loving the line "This couldn't be more ghetto!"
12) Wow, really nice organ on this. Not sure what kind of organ, but it's really airy, round, and full. Simple almost metronome percussion. This is really pretty.