|Holly Golightly / Truly She Is None Other|
|Album:||Truly She Is None Other||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2003-11-17||Pull Date:||2004-01-19|
|Week Ending:||18 Jan||11 Jan||4 Jan||28 Dec||21 Dec||14 Dec||30 Nov||23 Nov|
|1.||Wed, 26 Jul 17:||Your Imaginary Friend|
|4.||Tue, 14 Jun 11:||winston|
DON - FROM WINSTON... GOOD LUCK!
|2.||Sat, 01 Apr 17:||Middle School Boyfriend|
|5.||Tue, 24 May 11:||winston|
|3.||Sat, 18 Feb 17:||Middle School Boyfriend|
|6.||Wed, 22 Sep 10:||Your Imaginary Friend|
|Elias (Dr Furious)|
Divine, beautiful, holy. Deck!?! Delicious retro indie pop! This will make you feel like the year is 1956, the place is Memphis, TN, and you’re in a big ole Thunderbird convertible cruising down careless. If I had not heard of Holly Golightly, I would guess that this is a case of Juliana Hatfield getting it right. A voice that finally traces itself to where it belongs and gives up on any alt rawk attempts. But Holly is much more than that. In the liner notes Jack White gently asks: “Is Holly wool and am I a bucket of water?”. No, Jack. Holly is 60s pop rock and maybe 60s proto-punk in that Joe Meek or that Kinks sense of it. But above all, Holly is velvet. Holly is the jazz/blues velvet of Bessie Smith and Billy Holiday with the rock’n’roll edge of Wanda Jackson and Nancy Sinatra. This LP is a masterpiece of production! The bass sound is a pure bliss, the garage psych guitar solos so rocking crisp, and the vocals so polished, so perfect!!!|
Trivia info: Holly Golightly was the founder of an all-girl garage band called thee Headcoatees.
PLAY: 5, 13, 6, 1, 2, 8, 11
1. Kinks-line guitar melody – lazy crisp strummed guitar for rhythm – 50s produced vox
2. Happy psych guit/perc line
3. Nice mellow riff repeated… garage guitar solo… Juliana Hatfield-like vox
4. Slow tempo – ethereal psych vocals – very atmospheric – psych rock (Magic Band) guitars
5. Yeah! A Kinks cover. Awesome (i really meant DECK) bass line and guitar chops. Rocks out!
6. A blues number… this makes me think Bessie Smith! Beautifully done!
7. 60s pop. Slow tempo. Sugary guitar lines.
8. Listen to this bass…! Blissfully playful… Juliana comes in mind once again.
9. Is this bossa nova? Sigh! Can I have this dance? A Kinks melancholic cover.
10. Playfully slow. See #8.
11. Lazy blue grassy, country blues guitar/atmosphere. Slide/steel guitars and all.
12. Psychedelic melodies
13. So dreamy, it will make you cry! Love this track! Feathery gentle. Spacy surf guitar leads. Slow!
|1.||Walk a Mile||7.||It's All Me|
|2.||All Around the Houses||8.||She Said|
|3.||Without You Here||9.||Tell Me Now So I Know|
|4.||One Neck||10.||You Have Yet to Win|
|5.||Time Will Tell||11.||Sent|
|6.||Black Night||12.||This Ship|
|13.||There's and End|