|Atkinson, Wendy / Trim|
|Artist:||Atkinson, Wendy||Added:||Nov 2003|
|Label:||Smarten Up! & Get to the|
|Add Date:||2004-07-26||Pull Date:||2004-09-26||Charts:||Classical/Experimental|
|Week Ending:||Sep 19||Aug 15||Aug 8||Aug 1|
|1.||Dec 22, 2017:||Traditions - Merry Christmas |
|4.||Aug 11, 2004:||Approximating Stirling's Approximation |
Back and Forth
|2.||Nov 07, 2006:||What's in the Ice Box? |
|5.||Aug 08, 2004:||Oh Messy Life |
|3.||Sep 18, 2004:||Storytime! |
|6.||Aug 01, 2004:||15 Miles til Sunday |
Back and Forth
Bass -- electric, acoustic, and double-bass -- recorded to 4-track, along with a bit of spoken word, some processing, and some other sounds like turning of newspaper pages. Minimal and ambient, atmospheric and evocative. Reminds me of Vincent Gallo's soundtrack music in feel. Atkinson is from Vancouver and plays in the all-female pop band Licorice Sea. She recently collaborated with David Lester of Mecca Normal. Start with 1, 5, 8, 10.|
=> 1. Slow and atmospheric. Lovely textural interplay between acoustic and electric basses.
2. Slow and very sparse. Close your eyes to see this one.
3. Mid-tempo and rhythmic. Plucked and bowed acoustic bass Repetitive.
4. Spoken female voice telling a (very short) family story. A bit of plucked acoustic bass, lots of newspaper page turning.
=> 5. Arrhythmic. Processed basses sound like a busy ship yard/space dock in luminescent fog on another planet.
6. Mid-tempo. Spoken female voice (reading the business news) over short, repeating electric-blues bass theme, plus bass-percussion.
7. Mid-tempo. Bowed bass in multiple layers. Kinda skronky, oddly enough.
=> 8. Plucked bass over bowed bass. Dark & empty & atmospheric. Could fit into a Vincent Gallo movie. I wonder if they know each other?
9. Arty, neo-classical/experimental. Sparse.
=> 10. Gray on gray... dark walls of velvety bass fuzz are the backdrop for a philosophical discussion between two plucked basses.
11. Walking bass line with bowed continuo.
12. Just voice to start, describing a California car trip, then evocative minimal bass soundtrack telling the rest of the story.
13. High-register plucked electric bass chords with bowed and plucked bass underneath. Lots of glissandos.
14. Mid-tempo. Repetitive, happy theme with staccato bowing.
15. Slow and dense, filled with tension. Seagull sounds. Gets sparse toward end and fades away.
|1.||Somehow Dissolves||8.||New Terrorism|
|3.||Bounce||10.||Back and Forth|
|15.||Around the 8TH Floor|