|Various Artists / Stop Me If You Think Y|
|Album:||Stop Me If You Think Y||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2004-01-12||Pull Date:||2004-03-15|
|Week Ending:||14 Mar||7 Mar||22 Feb||15 Feb||8 Feb||1 Feb||25 Jan||18 Jan|
|1.||May 31, 2007:||Fiction Romance |
|4.||Jan 18, 2007:||Fiction Romance |
Ride It on
|2.||Feb 03, 2007:||Biff Bang Pow |
|5.||Feb 19, 2006:||Dancing in Outer Space |
At Last I Am Free
|3.||Jan 30, 2007:||Storytime: Secrets |
|6.||Dec 18, 2005:||The Ground State |
"Stop Me if You Think You've Heard This One Before" - Rough Trade has turned 25 and put out this album in celebration. It's 16 tracks of classic Rough Trade songs done by some current Rough Trade groups (yes an entire album of covers). Some are really great and others are not as interesting. Overall it has a very indie rock sound. Sometimes a little more punk, sometimes more poppy and dreamy, and sometimes very minimal and weird. You can't really go wrong with any of the songs on here, but here are my picks. My Picks: 1, 4, 6, 14|
Katie P. 12/29/03
1) Uptempo and totally fun. Slightly distorted vocals. Very nice.
2) Starts with some slow bongo and then the guitar and bass come in as well. Very minimal. Vocals are sung/spoken. Nice sax solo in there too. Simple and sweet.
3) Quiet guitar picking to start. Mellow quiet male vocals. Gets a little more lush during the chorus. Very pretty.
4) Uptempo and kind of crazy feeling. Has a definite electronic rock sort of sound. Also gets into a nice funky groove. This is quite cool, but very weird.
5) Keyboards with a spacey sound. Slower dragging tempo. Soft velvety female vocals.
6) Soft and far away sounding. Solid midtempo with pretty piano, guitar, and then some strings. This is really beautiful.
7) Slow dragging midtempo guitar strumming. Kind of a country feel to it with some spacey sounding keyboards.
8) Slow and quiet guitar picking to start it off. Soft male vocals. Solid midtempo that is soft and quiet.
9) Slow and dreamy feeling. Very cute. There's even a flute in there.
10) Chime-like keyboards and guitar start it off. Soft vocals almost feel like they are going through a slight delay at times.
11) Driving midtempo song. Nice rock with a swampy/western taste to it. Rough ragged vocals. Very nice.
12) Uptempo and fun. Vocals are rough and a little sloppy sounding (which works well). Pretty straight cover and it¡Çs done well.
13) Soft and slow. Guitar and dreamy keyboards. Dreamy smooth vocals.
14) Strong guitar strumming starts it off to a nice uptempo beat. Nice deep velvety female vocals. Oooo, and handclaps! This is very nice. Ends abruptly.
15) Weird electronic sounds start it off and then it kind of regroups to a minimal piano and keyboards. Female vocals are kind of yelled/spoken. Kind of noisy.
16) Uptempo and disco-rific. Lots of goofy electronics along with the fast guitar strumming. Crazy!!