|Monstrosity / Rise to Power|
|Album:||Rise to Power||Collection:||General|
|Label:||Conquest Music, Inc.|
|Add Date:||2004-01-26||Pull Date:||2004-03-29||Charts:||Loud|
|Week Ending:||Feb 15||Feb 8||Feb 1|
|1.||Feb 12, 2004:||Dolce! -- 30% More In Every Box! |
From Wrath to Ruin
|3.||Jan 29, 2004:||Dolce! -- Now with 100% More Tenley! |
Visions of Violence
|2.||Feb 05, 2004:||Dolce! |
|4.||Jan 27, 2004:||Meat Man Whistle Punching Sex Contest |
Monstrosity – Rise to Power (Conquest Music)|
Death metal. Heavy, technical, complex, brutal, and even progressive at times. Fast guitar riffs, ripping guitar solos (these guys sure can shred), fast drumming, intense vocals, and very neat song constructions. These guys are supposedly HUGE in South America, having recently headlined an 80,000 person festival, but haven’t really even broken above the underground in the States. I think part of that is that they take about three to four years between albums. Which brings me to the next point. The music here is good, excellent even, but it’s all being done by other bands, just as well if not better. For a band that takes four years to write an album, I’d expect something entirely groundbreaking; instead I got something that’s just very, very good. An excellent, worthwhile listen for every fan of old-school Florida-style death metal.
1) Fast guitar runs, and a cool solo in the midsection/end.
2) Starts out with a mid-tempo bass riff and guitar soloing, and then becomes very thrashy. Another excellent solo.
3) Another mid-tempo start, and it stays that way with some spiffy guitar FX.
4) Short, slow, acoustic piece that breaks up the pace, nice surprise, sounds cool, and segues very well into the next song.
5) A scorcher, right from the start, with a totally old-school shredding solo. Sounds a lot like Slayer.
6) Another fast song, very tight rhythm section on this one, and the guitars aren’t kidding either. I think this is probably the catchiest riff on the album, and check out that breakdown.
7) The title track starts out as a slow, doomy dirge, then speeds up, then slows down, then repeats, but only after throwing in some cool vocal and guitar FX.
8) Faster, staccato, reminds of Krisiun, especially in the time signature changes and machine-gun double bass.
9) Thrash! More modern sounding, taking a few cues from all the Scandinavian bands and it works just fine.
10) Short, fast, brutal, walks in, fucks shit up, drinks your beer, takes your woman, leaves you crying on the floor.
11) Twelve-minute epic, and it seems to be a trend among brutal death metal bands nowadays. The last 6 minutes, though, are just guitar squeals.
|1.||The Exordium||6.||A Casket for the Soul|
|2.||Awaiting Armageddon||7.||Rise to Power|
|3.||Wave of Annihilation||8.||Visions of Violence|
|4.||The Fall of Eden||9.||From Wrath to Ruin|
|5.||Chemical Reaction||10.||Abysmal Gods|
|11.||Shadow of Obliteration|