|Green, Al / I Can't Stop|
|Album:||I Can't Stop||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2004-02-16||Pull Date:||2004-04-19|
|Week Ending:||25 Apr||18 Apr||11 Apr||28 Mar||21 Mar||14 Mar||7 Mar||29 Feb|
|1.||Thu, 25 May 17:||georgie boy|
|4.||Sat, 05 Jan 08:||Mr. Sparkle & the Dead Kenny-G|
24-hour Blues Marathon (pt. 5)
|2.||Thu, 06 Aug 15:||SOL·MAX·ION|
Clean Copper Radio
|5.||Sat, 05 Mar 05:||Sunshine|
|3.||Thu, 19 Feb 09:||Sunshine|
Sunshine ... in the Afternoon (Birthday Edition!)
|6.||Mon, 03 Jan 05:||The Dead Kenny-Gs|
The Penultimate Bin
Al Green "I Can't Stop+ - Lawd have mercy!!! This is some serious soul! The first secular album to be put out by Rev. Al Green (with the help of Willie Mitchell) since 1976. All new songs written by the Rev. and Willie. All recorded in Royal Studios (home of Hi records). They got the same backup singers and a lot of the same musicians that recorded with Al Green back in the 70's. Great horn arrangements on every song and even a live string section. And when you add Al Green's amazing voice on top of it all, it's just perfect. And while this is new music, it definitely has a 1970's feel to it with no casio keyboards in sight. This is what soul should sound like. If you liked his old stuff you will love this. And if you don't love this, then clearly you have no soul and there is nothing anyone can do to help you. So play it!|
My Picks: 1, 3, 7, 8
Katie P. 2/5/04
1) Midtempo. Some nice soul horn hits. Good smooth groover. Oooo, really nice horn arrangements and even a flute!
2) A nice solid walk with a funky bass line. Nice build with horns and tons of backup singers. This is some nice funky blues. Laid back and very cool.
3) Slower with string arrangements and piano. This is soul!! Al Green's voice is just perfect for this.
4) Uptempo with plenty of horns blasts. Nice funky bounce that makes you want to shake your hips.
5) Faster midtempo soul thick with string arrangements. Oooo, man these horns are just great! This one is a bit of a smooth groover.
6) Slow strings and piano. The wah-wah effect on the guitar is a little weird, but it kind of works. Slow and pleading.
7) Uptempo with a little bit of a bounce, but still smooth. Wow!
8) Slow and low. Very bluesy but with a full band feel. Damn, killer organ solo!
9) Uptempo bounce. Solid horns and some wah-wah guitar. Sweet lyrics too. Ah, how cute!
10) Uptempo and very bouncy. Great horns on this. Woo! Just try not to shake your hips. You can't resist.
11) Solid midtempo with some nice piano and of course great horns. Verses sound a little like "Spinning Wheel" but it changes up at the chorus.
12) Uptempo and a little goofy. Nice bar-house style piano. This is kinda cute and a lot of fun.
a lot of fun.
|1.||I Can't Stop||7.||Million to One|
|2.||Play to Win||8.||My Problem Is You|
|3.||Rainin' in My Heart||9.||I'd Still Choose You|
|4.||I've Been Waitin' on You||10.||I've Been Thinkin' About You|
|5.||You||11.||I'd Write a Letter|
|6.||Not Tonight||12.||Too Many|