SAMBA NGO Ndoto
Bright Afro-pop/funk from a locally-based artist. He plays guitar with a nicely fluid style, and has a warm and engaging voice. The problem is there’s a sort of forced brightness in this that rings hollow, as if they’re trying too hard, and I find the more low-key tracks to be the most successful.
*1. Catchy & appealing with nice energy.
2. Funky w/lots of choral work.
3. Uptempo funk.
4. The addition of the mbira adds a nice touch. Uptempo.
5. Vocal harmonies blend well in this mid-tempo track.
*6. Sweetly happy and relaxed.
7. Midtempo funk w/keyboard accents.
*8. Light & more simplified. Mbira, vocals, perc.
9. Uptempo funk w/a bit too much of everything.
*10. Interesting a capella track.
*11. Bright & relaxed Afro-pop.