|Guapo / Five Suns|
|Add Date:||2004-05-24||Pull Date:||2004-07-26|
|Week Ending:||25 Jul||18 Jul||11 Jul||4 Jul||27 Jun||20 Jun||13 Jun||6 Jun|
|1.||Jul 21, 2004:||Brownian Motion |
Five Suns 1
|4.||Jul 13, 2004:||Lick My Moody Guitar Show |
Five Suns 4
|2.||Jul 20, 2004:||Lick My Moody Guitar Show |
Five Suns 5
|5.||Jul 08, 2004:||Baptism of Solitude |
Five Suns 3
|3.||Jul 14, 2004:||stirling's approximation |
|6.||Jul 06, 2004:||Lick My Moody Guitar Show |
Five Suns 5
Epic prog rock. This group is just a trio and it’s hard to believe it when listening. Drums, bass, and a guitar player who also plays lots of vintage keys, like Organ, Fender Rhodes, Harmonium, and Mellotron. All instrumental, sometimes angular sometimes loud and even heavy. This is their 4th release and this release has less of a punk sound. They’ve moved away from an angular choppy sound towards a long compositional jam sound. |
1. Opens with a gong, which is somewhat cheesy. Keyboards remind me of Zeppelin. Track builds and is melodramatic sounding.
2. Lurching drums and bass with eerie keyboards. Drums slowly increase in complexity and the track gets tense.
**3. Darker and more ominous sounding building and building after a few minutes the drummer just starts going off and before you know it we are on a prog rock jam. After about 3 minutes the track gets really quiet and there is some keyboard noodling with some of the themes from track 1. The track stays somewhat mellow but the drummer starts going crazy again. Shit then with about 4 minutes left the percussion just takes over.
4. Long with bass intro that slowly builds in intensity. Just when you think it’s going to let it all hang out it turns into an eerie (because of the keyboards) repetitive loop which is very Kraut rock sounding. This turns into a more modern sound someplace between post rock and math rock. Never really rocks out but still good.
5. Mellower with repetitive keys.
7. Ominous keyboards and drums to begin. Turns into a keyboard heavy prog jam. Jams a bit with some solid drumming but stays lead by the keyboards.
8. Keybaord intro that would make Yes proud. Like track 7, even when it jams it’s led by the keyboards. Good drumming…ends mellow.
Really good stuff! -mph
|1.||Five Suns 1||4.||Five Suns 4|
|2.||Five Suns 2||5.||Five Suns 5|
|3.||Five Suns 3||6.||Mictlan|