|Von Bondies, the / Pawn Shoppe Heart|
|Album:||Pawn Shoppe Heart||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Von Bondies, the||Added:||Mar 2004|
|Add Date:||2004-05-03||Pull Date:||2004-07-05|
|Week Ending:||May 30||May 23||May 16||May 9|
|1.||May 05, 2007:||Biff Bang Pow |
|4.||Dec 04, 2004:||Pop Music Show |
|2.||May 20, 2006:||Biff Bang Pow |
|5.||Jul 29, 2004:||Hello Kitten |
Tell Me What You See
|3.||Dec 12, 2005:||Biff Bang Pow |
|6.||May 24, 2004:||My Radio Show |
Tell Me What You See
|Elias (Dr Furious)|
Detroit's garage rockers finally hit "big". And like the White Stripes, trendiness and fame come at the expense of originality (ie. gotta cater to the esthetic of mass consumption). Where is the Von Bondies' mean rawness that I so knew and loved? Where are my Stooges, MC5 and Cramps influences? Their newest compositions and sound production borrow from familiar recipes. Let that be an 80s Brit sound (Billy Idol, the Smiths) or a Nirvana-sounding hit or even that 4AD Pixies/Breeders sound. Having said this, the Von Bondies are pretty damn fucking good band and their mean garage/psychobilly sides are still there. And so play them. It's all about the music speaking to your heart... not the image or the trendiness. |
Play 4, 9, 11, 5, 2
1. Detroit garage gone 80s Brit pop.
2. Slashy, swampy power rocker.
3. Do NOT play this fucking song. Good but it's like Nirvana meets the Smiths. And it's been overplayed on commercial radio. Jesus Christ!
4. Fuck yeah! This is the GARAGE band that I knew. Ripping bass lines, fuzzed up guitars, hand-claps, intense vox. Let's rawk!
5. Primal, psychotic, blunt: the Von Bondies.
6. Surfy tones... drone-y mood with paroxysmic vox-guitar build-ups. Psychobillish.
7. Oh gawd... Is this the Von Bondies trying to be the Breeders?
8. Nice female vox. Riffy leads.
9. Rawks hard. Female vox at the chorus. Sahara Hotnights come in mind!
10. Mid tempo psych number. Sparse, jangly psych guitars. Hard swinging tempo. The Doors.
11. Loud heavy raucous groove. Catchy. Nice garage guitar leads. Great tune!
12. More psychobilly. Neurotic guitar leads... and emo vox. hidden track at 7:04
|1.||No Regrets||7.||Not that Social|
|2.||Broken Man||8.||Crawl Through the Darkness|
|3.||C'mon C'mon||9.||The Fever|
|4.||Tell Me What You See||10.||Right of Way|
|5.||Been Swank||11.||Poison Ivy|
|6.||Mairead||12.||Pawn Shoppe Heart|