|Pas/Cal / Oh Honey, We're Ridiculous|
|Album:||Oh Honey, We're Ridiculous||Collection:||General|
|Label:||Le Grand Magistery|
|Add Date:||2004-05-10||Pull Date:||2004-07-12|
|Week Ending:||20 Jun||13 Jun||6 Jun||30 May||23 May||16 May|
|1.||Apr 16, 2012:||Bridal Moments |
What Do the American Girls
|4.||May 04, 2006:||The Sad Men's Club |
|2.||Mar 18, 2012:||Instant Cat! |
Bem, Please Come Home
|5.||Oct 26, 2004:||All This - And Mor! |
The Handbag Memoirs
|3.||Oct 28, 2008:||MusicTime! |
What Happened to the Sands
|6.||Oct 23, 2004:||Pop Music Show |
Male vocal twee pop overflowing with Beach Boys stylistic quotation--from Detroit. Their 2nd EP of 3 planned; debut LP in the works. Also very reminiscent of Beach Boys fans including The Boo Radleys in terms of songs starting here and going way the fuck over there, Belle & Sebastian in terms of clever simplicity, and The High Llamas in terms of sugar overload. Brush after playing. Includes brief vocal evocations of the ghosts of Freddie Mercury and John Lennon! Playful production with surprise cameos of too many instruments and tasty, arty manipulation of the soundstage. Clever lyrics and a phonebook of musical allusions to boot. Start with anything—if you like artful twee you can't go wrong here.|
1. Hand claps introduce medium tempo, Beach-Boys bounce that gets rocky and noisier toward end.
2. Gentle acoustic guitar and strings, then full band and harmony... with as many musical allusions per measure as notes. And there are lots of notes. Look honey -- it's the love child of Belle & Sebastian and The Boo Radleys!
3. Go-Betweens style guitar and Brian Wilson vox. Medium tempo, happy. Serge Gainsbourg bridge. It all works
4. Short (1:32) instrumental with hand-claps. Starts with guitar and xylophone. Happy and quirky. Abrupt ending.
5. Slow ballad that gets dynamic and wacky. Begins with squeaky swing-set sound, then piano and harmony vocals, goes doo-wop, then calliope, WTF?
|1.||What Happened to the Sands||3.||The Handbag Memoirs|
|2.||Poor Maude||4.||Bem, Please Come Home|
|5.||What Do the American Girls|